Rebloomer Blooming!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Merlie, do you get consistent re-bloomers in California? this is the first year I've had so many, but the weather has been very wierd.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

We hit 32 Friday night (better than the predicted 28) - Immortality is in a North unprotected bed and looks like the frost didn't hurt the bud.

On the other hand, "Going My Way" is really weird.Planted it in the Fall of '01. Bloomed only in the Fall of '02 and I had to clip in and bring it in for it to do that because we were going to have a freeze. '03 NO Blooms

04 No Spring blooms but here we are in Oct and it has a bud.

Is that pouty or what? Help! Dr. Wanda!

Hey, don't ask me! I just grow 'em, I don't explain 'em! :)

Port Costa, CA

Wanda,
I rarely get rebloomers! Immortality, Autumn Tryst, Summer Holidays will bloom every autumn. Haloween Halo, when it wants to! I have other iris that are supposed to rebloom but they don't. Maybe the summers are too cool.
I don't know.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

baby blessed blooming today.

Thumbnail by daylily970
(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

After 2 months of continuous bloom these are my last iris blossoms for the year. I have so enjoyed having IRIS blooming at this time of year, what a wonderful novelty!

Thumbnail by llilyfan

lilfan--you are sooo lucky! I can't complain. I've had more iris re-bloomers than ever before. What is the name of your beauty in the new pic?

OH Wanda, it has been so wonderful! I've NEVER had a reblooming iris bloom before.

OOppps, That delightful iris is 'Barn Dance' I didn't even know it was listed as a rebloomer!

Barn Dance? Love it! I do see it is listed as a rebloomer in the catalogs.

I have a couple dozen rebloomers & this year I was surprised to get 4 of them going. The conditions have to be just right for them to rebloom. Enjoy it while you can....

Rochester, PA

This is my first time posting a thread. I thought you all might enjoy seeing my reblooming 'Stellar Lights." It's the first time it ever rebloomed and is three years old. I moved my entire iris bed last fall to a hillside in full sun. I was amazed when I saw it was setting blooms because I had given up hope. Am I ever pleased. I'll buy more rebloomers.

Thumbnail by krbaker
Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Kr, Welcome to Dave's. Sorry but there are no obsessed or plant addicted members here .... HAHAHAH !

Your Stellar Lights is a beaut. The ruffling is very pretty too.Is it as blue as it looks in the photo ?

My Re bloomer Champagne Elegance is popping 2 more buds. Gotta get more of those Re bloomers next year.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2004 8:37 PM

My Low Hi Silver sent up a stalk. Darn thing was too lazy to bloom this spring & expects to win my heart NOW? Huh! The buds were quickly browned off by a frost. Guess I'll have to wait until next spring.

Clarence sent up 2 more stalks but I broke them off. It bloomed heavily last spring & this fall. will I get to see it's lovely face next spring?

Rochester, PA

Scooterbug: Yes, the color in the photo is very true. Since I took this photo the others in that original photo have opened and I now have others pushing up. They are gorgeous.

I think I'll just cast my vote for Immortality! This iris has been blooming since early August! I do believe these are the last 2 blooms for this year. What a delight to see on this overcast election day.

OOops, forgot the pic!

Thumbnail by llilyfan

Okay, keep bragging as I cover up my garden and put it to sleep...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I didn't get reblooms on my Immortality. Lucky you Sue. This is the first full year for them for me though, so maybe next year.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Up here in Canada zone 2/3, we fertilize and water rebloomers like anything and HOPE...... Not much luck this year due to a frost early Sept. A rebloomer that does sometimes rebloom here is called
Forever Blue, by Chuck Chapman. Think Iris City Gardens has it.

Ginny who still has to tidy up the sibs, now that lilies are finally planted.

Mine took 3 years to bloom.......maybe I shouldn't move them so much!

Wanda, Wanda, Wanda, I'm not braggin' I'm sharin' !!! (great BIG Cheshire Cat Grin) :-D

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Is that the Iris City Gardens in TN? I wanted to vist this past Spring and didn't get around to it. I have their catalog. Do they send large rhizomes?
Teresa

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

ICG sends things TDF> Wonderful, very large - mostly. Some tings Prismatica and a couple of other rock iris were small. can't remember their names. All growing very ery well now. And they were only planted Sept 13th.
Ginny

lilyfan has a micro-climate going and won't share! Pout. Pout.

Port Costa, CA

Well,
Better late than never......Halloween Halo decided to bloom Thanksgiving week! I took this photo this morning. I don't recall ever seeing this many buds on an iris ever! It will be interesting to see if they all make it, we could get a frost anytime now.......
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Happy Birthday Wanda!
love,
Merlie

Port Costa, CA

Here's the photo:

Thumbnail by Merlie

Merlie--Good to hear from you agaion!

I think you get the prize for the latest rebloom. And it's a beauty! And, just to make me jealous, how early do your iris start blooming in spring?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Wanda, I read somewhere about RB's needing certain conditions to encourage Re-Bloom? Any Idea ? *(brain deleted)*

Immortality was the only one that rebloomed a little for me in the past. I was not going to waste the money for any more. This year, 6 rebloomers went crazy! I'm told it's a combination of a dry period followed by a cool, wet period. All our weather was about 3 weeks ahead this year. We had a short drought in July and a cool, wet August. September brought my rebloomers out in full force!

According to the climatoligist at the SUI Herbaceous Conference, this kind of year only comes one in 6 or 7 years. But warmer climates have rebloomers all the time.

Merlie--are re-bloomers normal for you in California?

Port Costa, CA

Well, they weren't in the past but this year for some reason, the rebloomers have gone crazy. Autumn Tryst has sent up another stalk. Frequent Flyer has a stalk now too. We haven't had a frost in 2 years here...highly unusual. Maybe Global warming is really happening???

Ask me about Global warning in the middle of a blizzard in January...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.