Rebloomer Blooming!

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes! Immortality has opened and was in full glory when I got home from vacation! What a sight to behold.

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

How wonderful, llilyfan. I have buds on total recall but it didn't bloom in the spring, so is it "reblooming" or just blooming at a very weird time?

LimeyLisa Kay

Just blooming at a wierd time! It didn't bloom this spring either. This was its last chance and I see it took me seriously.

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Must be all this cool weather! It feels like fall!

LimeyLisa Kay

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

LILY FAN-- you're back??? I bet you had a wonderful trip out East. So, when are you going to add a photo to our "Naked Lady & Calender girls line in Lilies Forum?

My Immoratality bloomed well in May, but has not sent up any Fall scapes. It DID bloom last September--surprised the devil out of me.
No buds yet.

Port Costa, CA

I rarely get rebloomers...even from the ones that are supposed to rebloom....but look at this! I took this photo yesterday. This is Summer Holidays and it smells even sweeter than it looks!

Thumbnail by Merlie

Merlie just saw your reblooming "Summer Holidays"--GREAT color! No buds on my rebloomers yet, but the late summer rains have started with cool nights. Crossing my fingers in Cedar Rapids.

Wanda, if it is rain and cool nights they want then they should be bloomin fools here before long. We have recieved about 5.5 inches of rain in the last 4 days. I think I will go out and put those water wings on my iris!

I'm teaching mine to swim uphill to the drier beds! :)

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My Immortality has never rebloomed for me. I bought Earth Star for reblooming. I hope it will

Well, unfortunately its all downhill from the iris bed in my yard, so I can't get them to swim uphill!

I have had Immortality for 3 full years and this is the first time it has ever bloomed for me! In August no less.

Last year my Clarence was already to bloom again--but frost got it. I'm hoping that this year's early rains will bring out me re bloomers. I'm waiting patiently.

This is Clarence--worth seeing twice in a year!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Some of my tall bearded iris on their second year did not bloom at all this year. And I have a rebloomer on its third year that bloomed only in the Fall it's first year and then no blooms last year or this year.

Maybe next year they will put on a show.

Well, weather is optimum & plenty of rain. Let's see if it works this year. The delicacy of my iris in late fall would be wonderful.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Found this under a Datura plant. First time to see this bloom. A little crooked 'cause she layed across the ground to find sunlight , but sooooo pretty and BIG. Luv it =)

Champagne Elegance

Thumbnail by scooterbug

My "Clarence" was blooming yesterday! I took photos & will post later.... :) No signs of any other rebloomers yet...

Immortality bloomed for me the first time last week .
Nestled amongst a Maya Brugmansia.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Very pretty; no rebloomers here! ;(

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

My first ever rebloomer was an iris I didn't like! I didn't like the pink cast on the standards with the golden falls on Champagne Encore. So I forgot to swap it and it rebloomed a bit less pink. Some flowers just try to win you over!

Thumbnail by boojum

I was trimming the HUGE Lord Baltimore Hibiscus yesterday & found that "bride's Halo" has TWO multi bud stalks up!!!! YES!!!

Baby Blessed is a little dwarf and has more blooms on it than this spring & I see Immortality is throwing up a stalk.

I feel blessed with iris at this time of year. I guess the wierd summer was worth it!@!!!

See, I told ya .What a gift for the end of the growing season ,Eh ?

Well, kind of wierd seeing iris besides phlox, zinnia & snapdragons.... But I love it!

Port Costa, CA

Well, another beauty popped up....Autumn Tryst.
Now I understand the name!

Thumbnail by Merlie

Yeah Wanda!

I STILL have Immortality blooming (5 weeks so far) and a new flower stalk coming up also. Barn Dance has 4 flower stalks and Navajo Jewel is blooming for the second week with another new stalk also. Ain't it great seeing Iris at this time of the year!

What a Fall for IRIS!!! Never seen anything like it before.

Wanda , DITTO ! ! !
I was so thrilled this morning while walking in the garden after being away for 3 days. I detected a different scent than usually emitted by my brugs & datura .

Finally found that Immortality had exploded in the shadows of the brugs while I was gone . I had no idea they smelled so sweet !
Wanda, Thanks for introducing me to these lovelies.

This is just one of them, they're all over !

added: I cut a few to put in a vase and the fragrance wafted throughout the whole house. Reminded me of a strong lilac smell. I am amazed !

This message was edited Sep 23, 2004 4:42 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Merlie, I just love your Autumn Tryst. Where did you find it? I have to get one. My Immortality is sending up its third scape. This is two weeks after the last one, so it's a complete surprise. I, too, love autumn flowering irises.

Merlie, Your Autumn Tryst is stunning. Is it a historic Iris ?

Port Costa, CA

I was on vacation last week so I didn't see your letters.
Autumn Tryst was introduced in 1993 by Weiler. I have attached
some links to where you can buy it. I don't have enough of it to
divide yet. The best deal is the first one...but they aren't selling anymore
in 2004. I have bought irises from these people and they are healthy and big.

http://www.walking-p-bar.com/shopsite/page18.html

Here are some other sites that carry Autumn Tryst for a price comparison;

http://www.redrocknursery.com/iris.htm

http://www.gardeneureka.com/CADDS/default.htm

www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant. mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AUTM&Category_Code=FRAG - 11k -

This message was edited Sep 29, 2004 10:24 AM

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi, I'm new here-The iris pictures are so gorgeous!
I don't have any rebloomers, but have ordered some, so I read up on them in an iris book I have.
It seems they are very heavy feeders and need to be fed again after the first bloom, also divided yearly to keep them flowering. They also need a long growing season.
I have no experience with these, but I can't wait to try them. Hope this helps!
Regards,
Cindy

I always understood that Iris only need a feeding in the Spring , that they do not like fert ? ?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I can only speak for Immortality, which is still blooming. I feed it once in the spring and that's it. It always reblooms for me.

Ha Ha! Was just doing some clean-up in the garden and MY Immortality is also re-blooming! When you just think there are no more surprises in the garden ~ there it is!

And now Clarence has thrown up 3 more scapes! I just pray there will be something left to bloom in the spring! Frost tonight may do the rest of the buds in.

I have ''more'' Immortality and Champagne Elegance coming on. Will frost kill them ?

Depends. We had a hard frost the past 2 nights. The blooms on Clarence & Bride's Halo were hit, but new buds are opening today. Immortality is closer to the house. Frost got all my zinnias & cannas. The iris buds are perfect!

I love Immortality for cut flowers. It's like the fragrance of Lilacs x 10, perfumes the whole room.

Clarence still breaks my heart with it's crepe paper blooms. I just can't believe how it glows in my garden right now!

Wanda,

She (he) sure is a lil show-off. Very pretty.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2004 10:54 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.