Weird Garlic

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Has anyone had their garlic make an extra clove - in addition to the main head - about halfway up the scape?

Thumbnail by mominem
Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Another view:

Thumbnail by mominem
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yup, tho not often. I have no idea what the cause of this was.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

There is a nuclear power plant about 20 miles away....

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah~! I would expect more from a nuke plant, eileen! I would demand garlic the size of a football...you've been cheated!

Was that a first year plant? (Or I should say a one year plant.) Or was that one that was working on it's second year and flowered? Just curious.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Just an ordinary garlic planted last fall. I'm going to plant the odd clove this fall and see if it grows and also, see if it repeats the trait. BTW, this is "Korean Red" variety.

Sure, the garlic didn't get as big as a football...but did you see the giant brug leaf I posted in the brug forum? Maybe we're just getting whiffs from the nuclear plant and not the full effect!

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Practically all of my garlic did that extra bulb trick. I just discarded it! I'll be interested in hearing how planting them goes.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

roshana,
wouldn't it be nice to be able to plant the extra clove and get a full head of garlic? I'll post results next spring one way or the other.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

My garlic always did that too when I grew it. Eventually I stopped growing it because it's just too darned cold up here to get a harvest of bulbs bigger than my thumb.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Korean Red is a pretty good garlic. I don't remember if that was the one that did that weird thing tho.

Hardneck Garlic (Allium sativum subsp. ophioscorodon) do send up bulbil headed scapes on occasion, perhaps Korean Red is a Hardneck type?

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, it is. I found this link:
http://www.hirts.com/cgi-local/catalog.cgi?cat=2,17,&item=1130

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.