Quinoa - any advice?

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

For the first time this year I planted quinoa. It kind of looks like lamb's quarters (the weed) but then makes a rather large cone-shape clustered flower/seed head on top, at about 2-3 feet tall. Some are reddish, some beige, but all still have a tight bud feel to them that's rather waxy. I guess I have to wait a while yet for the seed to form, and dry. Has anyone else grown this?

I know quinoa is a grain, but it's in with the squash & such so I haven't told it yet that it isn't a vegetable. Shhh!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

It's a secret with me!

Will be watching this thread...holler back when you harvest! And take pics!

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Have you ever eaten quinoa? I like to use in soups & stews. It's drought tolerant and competes very well with the weeds. I'll post photos at the harvest.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Eileenmlamb

I LOVE quinoa. It never occured to me that I could actually "grow" it. Of course, in zone 3, I probably can't. Do you know what it's tolerances are? Maybe I could baby it along. It's my favorite grain, and good in soups, stews, or any recipes you would use couscous in. YUM. Lucky you. Let us know how it does.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a link from the online catalog where I purchased the seeds. I forget which one I picked, but it was a 90-100 day maturity variety and I planted it in early June...
http://www.seedsofchange.com/search/results.asp?uid=&c=all&q=quinoa

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Quinoa is also delicious in salads: tomato, garlic, some cilantro/coriander leaves and quinoa (and tuna) make a great summer meal.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds wonderful!

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Growing quinoa sounds wonderful. Please keep us informed on how it goes for you. How do you harvest it? When do you know to harvest it? etc.. How do you store it. I envision possibly starting some early when I start my tomatoes and transplant in the spring. Do you think that might work? Ursula, I noticed that some of the seed source for quinoa was Chili on the Seeds of Change web site. I bet you know about quinoa.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

I figure, quinoa is "seeds". So I'll watch the plants "go to seed" and try to get them before they fall off, or the first frost hits and kills the plants. They would probably shake loose of the plant if you hang upside down? Then, I guess you would store in a cool dry place - when I buy quinoa it usually comes in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. That's actually why I started this thread - hoping someone would be able to tell me more about the process. Guess we'll all learn together!

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

epazota, I noticed it as well. Unfortunately, quinoa is not very popular so far. You can buy it for a lot of money in the supermarkets, where they sell dieting and natural food. Otherwise, you can collect your own quinoa at the roadside LOL. I only became acquinted with quinoa last year, when a friend gave me a big package of it. Needless to say, I love it. At that time I made a Google search and found lots of interesting information.

Eileen, yes, quinoa is seeds.

Hi Eileenmlamb,Quinoa is ready to harvest when the leaves have fallen,just leaving the seedheads.Sometimes it will take the first frost for the leaves to fall.It is important to watch the weather when the quinoa is ready to be harvested,if rained on the dry seed can germinate.Cut the seed heads from the stalk and let them dry in a warm place.The seeds are easy to strip from the stalk.

Quinoa seeds are covered with a saponin which has a bitter taste.Remove saponin residue by rinsing quinoa thoroughly with cold water,before cooking.I'm sure that is the waxy substance you are seeing.
Quinoa bought in stores usually has the saponin removed.

You can store the seeds in a glass jar in the refrigerator,or other cool place.
Best if grains are used within a year.If you make flour,it's best to use within 3 months.

In South America,some people use the saponin for washing clothes and as an antiseptic to promote healing of skin injuries.Just thought i'd add that tidbit.

I hope this helps.I have recipes if interested.

Edited for spelling error.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2004 8:33 AM

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Bittysgarden, thank you for this information. I was prepared to "wing it" but would rather proceed correctly and not blow my whole crop. Have you grown this yourself, then?

If you have recipes I would love to see them, you could post here or in the recipe forum. I am supposed to follow a "gluten free" diet which means I avoid wheat, oats, rye, and barley. That doesn't leave much in the way of grain to make flour or put in soup or stew, so quinoa and amaranth have become staples in my cupboard but they are pricey at the health food stores. Thus my quest to grow them.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sounds like something I'd like to try for next yr. Sounds easy and "low maintenance" to me! (My favorite way to grow things!)

Take some pics if you can!

Hi Eileenmlamb,I've not forgot about you.I've been busy painting inside the house and have not been on the internet too much these past couple of days.

It seems all the bread recipes i have use flour and/or other ingredients that you listed.I have a cornbread recipe i'll look up in a bit,but i found this site that may give you a start on recipes.I'll post the others soon.
http://www.quinoa.com/index.html

I have grown quinoa for three years.The first seeds that i got were from South America.It was for a black seeded type.The black seeded heads were really pretty to look at.Our friendly pantry mouse liked them as much as we do.Luckily,my brother kept a few seeds back and gave them to me for planting next year.I've not seen a black seeded type forsale in the US.I am eager to preserve this color variety.

This message was edited May 18, 2005 5:25 PM

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

BittysGarden, Thanks for the link. I get around the whole "wheat flour" thing by substituting rice flour & potato starch flour, sometimes adding small amounts of quinoa flour etc. I really don't bake too much because of this - tastes kind of like cardboard or sometimes glue - but I do make cornbread and it turns out well enough.

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Eileen, I'm just back from a short vacation in Arica, right at the border with Peru and not far from Bolivia. Quinoa is very popular in this area. There I tryied some quinoa bisquits (delicious!!!), as well as inflated quinoa (same as rice) which was also great and eaten as any cereal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.