propagation of portulaca rose moss

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

How do you propagate from stem cuttings. Have only one plant and want to make more to harvest some seed.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I simply break the stems to about 4" lengths and stick them in soil. They root very quickly. The more you pinch them back, the fuller they will be, therefore more blooms. I have never collected seeds. I simply keep some of them growing all winter in a pot and break them back to stick in the ground in spring. Mine will re seed for me here, but they come up very late in the summer.

Thumbnail by Azalea
Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Azalea, does that pretty much go for any rose moss?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I think so, they are so like sedums, they just sprout new roots almost overnight.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

That's kind of what I figured, just thought I would get your opinion. Thanks!

Just read an article about rooting cutting from portulacas. It said to take the cuttings and leave them lay for several days. (I put mine in a cool room.) Apparently it allows them to dry out enough so as not to rot when planted. I tried it and the silly things had roots on them 12 hours after I planted them!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks azalia and dstartz for the imput. So easy. I have another Portulaca that covers the ground like a blanket. Along with Ice plant Red Apple and the Rose Moss will really look good. With them sticking thru the low growing Portulaca. Maintenance free and very little water.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I was wondering how do I go about making more. I also pinched them back, like I do to many other plants and they did get bushier real fast.

Thumbnail by NatureWalker

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.