Saving Million Bells for 2005

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

I would like to save my Million Bells Terre Cotta for next year and I'm not sure how to do it. The plant I have right now is HUGE and it's not an option to bring it inside. I understand from reading in the PDB that cuttings can be taken from it, but that should probably be done in the spring? Should I cut it back before the first frost and bring it inside and do cuttings in the spring? Or take cuttings now and let the plants get established by spring, or does it matter?

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Its probably not going to survive the Winter in your zone. If you want to take cuttings, its going to be necessary to do it before your first frost. I've not tried propagating this particular plant, but I would try to do several cuttings using different rooting technics to ensure you keep your plant.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Million Bells Terra Cotta is easy to take cuttings from. I just take tip cuttings that are about three inches long, dip in rooting hormone and put in cell packs of damp soil. I hold them in the shade or under a shelf in the greenhouse. The root in about two weeks, depending on how warm it is. I've never tried to hold them over, but would think that they will need some good bright light to make it. I've got about six cuttings that I rooted and had a use for a month ago and chanced my mind. I may try to hold them over in the picture window or under lights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.