Weeping Plumb Tree, Fruit PLEASE?

Mira Loma, CA

When I purchased my home in '79, it had among other old trees, a plum tree, Santa Rosa. Was mature and gave years of great yields. Slowed down abit and hubby gave it a pruning.... with chainsaw..... well, it came out of that and had another crop or two, turned up it's roots and died! UGH
I always get neverous when Bill goes pruning so about 6 or 7 years ago, I bought from a now gone local nursery a "Weeping Plum". It was supose to grow about the same size and yied a plum similar to Santa Rosa. Great! So I planted it and it has grown very well, about 18' tall, weeping branches and has had the whole sum of 3 plums that the insects got before I did! I feterlize it along with all the fruit trees about 3 times a year. I am so depressed that it has not even tried to produce in 2 years and just sits there. Can't seem to find much about it. Does anyone have any ideas? What am I really looking at? If things don't start producing in the next year, I am going to take my hubby's chain saw and do some permanent pruning!

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Lindsey, sometimes my hubby and I wonder if it is the root-stock [ un-less grown on its own roots]...and also the nursery stock, we have a ''3 in one plum tree'' [ including Santa Rosa plums] that is just loaded every year.[ 30 yrs now].Our green gage is still struggling ..we will give them one more year to do somethintg [ they will then be 4 yrs old].. otherwise out they go...[ watering too expensive here] Have you tried Plumcots ? absolutely delicious [ part apricot part plum] We planted a weeping Santa Rosa also this past year and it had a couple of fruits...we will see how it does over the next two years....marion

Mira Loma, CA

Thanks Marion for you reply. Sorry this is so long in coming. That time of year I guess. I have eaten Plumcots from Costco and yes they are delicious! Though I don't recall ever seeing a tree for sale. But I will look and see what their story is. Looking toward retirement, so we are easing up on the planting of trees... won't be here to eat them and yes, our water bill also looks like the national debt! Sure takes the fun out of gardening. Keep me posted on your weeping Santa Rosa, I hope you have better luck than we have. Not long now and I will be making it's final pruning.... Jimmie

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Jimmie, some fruit trees do not respond to fertilzing..for years never did anything with ours, then decided do some every other year..but we use organic, never chemicals...[we never fertilize our pear or apple] pear tree gets blight and does better with a good dose of manure [ our son this summer gave us bags from his bunnies and the fruit trees have responded real well] but you do not want great leaves and growth and little fruit..so that is what can happen.... You really have to shop around for the Plumcott..I saw some in a nursery catalog, in fact the first one we got we ordered from them, then in Jamul in the back country a nursery there had a few in...maybe in the Springtime you could check around [ I will give you a buzz if I see anything]...
very disappointing I know not to get the fruit..our 3 in one never stops fruiting..and now with only my hubby and me its too much [except the dogs really like them..smile]..days of all that baking and making jams is way behind us....marion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.