Pileated Woodpecker

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

How many woodpeckers do you see in this photo ? Actually, I'm starting to see them in my sleep !!!

Hope you all don't get tired of seeing more photos of the PW's. I had an exceptional day, today (a visit from both of them). I'll share some of today's pics as soon as I sort through them. I took about 120 photos, just today when I finally stopped and went back inside .... my finger was tired !!!

This message was edited Mar 31, 2005 11:06 PM

Thumbnail by linthicum
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Very few and never this guy!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Linthicum - your pictures are delightful, and besides; who could possibly resist taking pictures of that big, beautiful boy!

Pileated woodpeckers are a great success story, and they've done it all on their own. It was said that they would eventually go the way of the Ivory Billed woodpeckers, since they could only live in old growth forest. But for some reason they are adapting, and it looks like they may be able to make their way in a more and more crowded human world.

They seem to have adjusted to cars, anyway. :)

I remember watching a mother Pileated leading her flock of babies to our dogwood trees to eat the berries. That was when I lived in a national forest. The memory still makes me smile.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We love your PW pictures. I can't imagine ever getting bored by them. Keep 'em coming!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Me either!

Verona, ON

Keep these pictures coming. I need my daily fix!! So you see you are not the only one enthralled to the point of obbsessed with these beauties. Thanks for the hours of enjoyment I get from the pics. to be quite honest I look at the pics several times daily - totally fascinated with the differences between the male and female. We seem to only be able to see the male. Wonder why?
D

The date is Thursday, March 31st. The year is 2005. This is a true story (well sort of). Only the names and exact location have been changed to protect the innocent.

In recent months, a few homeowners in the neighborhood had been experiencing some vandalism (little holes in the woodwork around their house) in addition to some minor theft. That afternoon, I happened to see a few “strangers” quietly positioning themselves around the neighbor’s house. The scene looked threatening as the afternoon sky was turning more gray. I first thought, “it’s not my house”. “Why get involved? “ ”Maybe, they’re just visiting ?” But then .... I decided otherwise. I had to get involved, as any good neighbor would.

I quietly turned on my digital “surveillance” camera and this is what I recorded, and overheard (at least my interpretation) .... I couldn’t believe my eyes, or ears !!!

Now, for the rest of the story (pictures) ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Piece of Evidence #2 ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

#3 ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

#4 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

#5 ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

#6 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

#7 ....

And, then the unthinkable happened. I thought that they had interfered with my electric but ..... my battery was dead !!!

Sadly, they got away, but I turned the evidence over to the local authorities. I've got alot of good close-up photos from previous visits. They should be able to pick them out of a line-up !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

linthicum, you are a riot! The pictures are out of this world. They certainly are unusual birds. Hope you share some more.

I counted 4 WP in the above picture on the car. :-)

Verona, ON

From 1 pileated WP lover to another I am in awe!!! How blessed you are to be able to witness let alone take ppics. Thank you soooo much for sharing.
I have a flower box that is a Pileated's dug out hole - it is about 6 - 7 feet log and such a beautiful natural setting for some flowers. Will take some pics when the flowers bloom again this spring.
This thread gives me such joy !
Dianne

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Simply ingenius Linth ! ! ! ...

IMHO, this heuh .. lil 'PW crime saga' tis yer awesome ultimate, yet! .. Luv the entire series!!! .. LOL

(of course, fantastic pics with such adorable captions .. are jes a mite bit on my favrites list anyways!!) .. hee hee ..

Yer Pileateds ... sure all plum full of themselves, haint tey!!! .. Jes luv 'em!!

- Magpye

This message was edited Apr 2, 2005 9:21 PM

Modi'in, Israel

ROTFL! Very cute :-)

-Julie

Here are a few additional photos taken on the same day.... I have a few half-rotten railroad ties that he was working on.

Hope you enjoy.

Thumbnail by linthicum

2nd photo of this series .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

3rd Photo of this series ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

4th Photo of this series ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

5th Photo of this series ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

6th and last photo, for now. This is one of my favorites and I am currently using it as my laptop wallpaper. The photo lent itself to a wintry appearance so I added a few snow flurries !!!

They haven't visited for a couple of days but they sure have expanded my Pileated Woodpecker photo library. I have been able to take over 200 photos this Spring. With this series of photos, I actually sat on the ground, at eye level, within 10 feet of him. What a sight, and experience !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I am absolutely green! Ohhhhhhhh, you are so honored!
Thanks so much for sharing these experiences that most of us can only dream about.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahh, Linth .. you should be soooo ashamed of yerseff .. Showin' off lik'at !! ... (*luvinly teasin' ya!*)

Mitey wonderful shots and an even more fantastic subject! That 2nd pic posted - has won me over. Of course, it's possible you may have got 'im in a slight pause .. But, it sure nuff seems mr PW is rearin' back, takin' aim, and fixin' to pound that cross tie with all he's got !!!

Ya jes gotta fill us in more, on about how long you had to sit out there .. 'in wait' .. of his arrival for his photo shoot!!

Those here .. have been real active over the last few days or so! Seems that we may have 3 pair .. right here on the property, that come in close to the house and immediate 'yard' area! They've sure nuff been makin' enuff mouthy conversation & racket during the mornin' .. to wake the Devil! And sure nuff, I get on up pretty soon afterwards .. (hee) ..

Been hopin' to see them come in a lil closer to the front porch to one of their many, favored dead or dyin' trees .. but I think they're watchin' me to see if I have camera in tow or not! My greatest dream is to perhaps see them take an wee lil interest in the Alligator Log .. and do a set down .. to see what he/she can shake up and find in that ol log! That .. would really be a treat-and-a-half, I tell ya!! .. hee

Truly thrilled (*and most hulky green w/envy too, of course!!*) .. for you .. that you're able to get in as close and get those kind of shots of such a big beautiful, and elusive bird!!

Keep 'em comin' Linth! .. Certainly enjoy, and delight .. in every spectacular one of 'em!!

- Magpye

Thanks tigerlily and Magpye .....

You're right Magpye. I am showin' off. Where I come from, " you make hay while the sun shines" !!!

I don't sit and wait. I just look out the window every few seconds (lol). And, you're right about photo #2. I was lucky to get as many pictures as I did on that "one sitting". I had so many pictures of him with his head down, I started timing his head movement. His head was up and down so fast, I was always getting the opposite pose of what I wanted. I started to get pretty good with the timing !!! But, on average, I got some of both.

With three pair on your property, you had better spend all daylight hours by the window. Today, my next door neighbor asked me if I saw the woodpecker that was on the cars last year. I said, you gotta be kiddin !!! So, when you hear that "knock, knock, knock" on the tree, you surely know, opportunity is knocking right around the corner.

Best of luck .....

Modi'in, Israel

Linthicum, that 2nd pic is so cute....with him leaning back inspecting his handwork. It's my favorite of the entire thread :-) I love you snow on that last shot too, very clever! :-)

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

These WP threads have demonstrated that you have a very special relationship with this neat bird. Thanks for sharing with us! I have enjoyed every picture and every word.

John

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Linthicum, absolutely wonderful photos. I hadn't seen last years series for some reason. You are so very talented with camera and your sense of humor. Sure glad the WP decided to honor you with their visits so we could all share. Thanks so much for taking the time to take the pictures and to post for us all to enjoy. DonnaS

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sending you more accolades on your WP series! You've indeed been given a rare and wonderful opportunity to become this bird's friend. He obviously knows & trusts you to let you get so close to him. Were you humming, "I've Been Working On The Railroad" as he was hunting/pecking for insects on your half-rotted r.r. ties? :~)

Duvall, WA(Zone 8a)

Absolutely incredible photo's!!!! We have pileated's around here all the time, but they never hang around on cars or peek in the window. They are in the trees being difficult to see. Thanks for the photo's and the funny way with words. You have added fun and delight to our lives.

Thanks to all ... glad you enjoy. Shirley1md, "I'm working on the Railroad (ties)" lyrics sure are fitting for this experience. Both the male and female continue to return on a little less frequent basis. However, they also have a favorite spot back in the woods where I sneak up on them.

Here are a few more recent photos ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

2nd photo of this series ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

4th photo in this series ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Last photo of this series ....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

All wonderful pictures but #4 is a real winner...so beautiful!!

It ain't over until its over !!!! (quote from Mr. Pileated Woodpecker).

Thumbnail by linthicum

I don't think he's just migrating, John ....... In the next few days, if you hear a noise around your house that sounds like a jungle bird, I would head inside !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum

Working overtime .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.