How large may an African Violet grow?

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

The one that my love SO1 nutures is about a foot in diameter (http://davesgarden.com/t/447775/), and from what we've read recently, it's not even close to rootbound in that basket! I wonder how big it could get. :)

Does anyone have pics of larger AVs of their own, or URLs of others?

And one more question related to size: Will a 'regular' (as opposed to 'mini') AV thrive and bloom even if started/planted in a tiny pot?

Looking forward to seeing your pics and comments,
Donna/TuttiFrutti

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Some Av's can get about 2ft around or maybe bigger... that's usually the Standards with a notation of "Large".
There is an actual AVSA classification of size for AV's that can give you an idea of the Ideal size but most of it is proabable genetics as with all things.

So1's Av looks like a Semi Mini that has been allowed to grow "too large" for it's "show class". Not that that is a bad thing mind you.:) Semi Minis are generally kept at 6-8 inches...I'd have to double check the standard reg's for size classes since I don't show mine but best I recall here's the calsses.
Standards -Have to be Over 8 inches (most are more than 12 in)
Semi Mini's - between 6-8 inches
Minis -No more than 4 inches

Yes, they will grow and thrive, bloom in smaller pots but they will exhaust the soil faster and need repotting every 3-4 months. With reg fertilizing that an AV needs the salt builds up faster and more likely to stress the root system on the AV...ie (burn out) You can trim them to size and that helps but you will still need to repot frequently.. does that help at all?
MsC

Oh yes! It definitely helps and more!!! Especially regarding the salt build up as we hadn't considered that at all yet. :)

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Here Donna,
Check these pics and the info out in these threads it's where the Av forum started.....
http://davesgarden.com/t/424419/

Oh, wow! I revisited that thread and remember reading of your comments there... just now put it on the watch list so I don't lose it... :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.