Mississippi and Surrounding States Heirloom Group

Richland, MS(Zone 8a)

Several regions adjacent to Mississippi have organizations dedicated to finding and preserving heirloom varieties of vegetables, herbs, grains, and flowers. However, interest in preservation of our own regional heirloom treasures is very slight if participation of folks from this region in organizations such as Seed Savers Exchange is the gauge of interest.

Much of the still available heirloom varieties that fed both body and soul of the folks who settled and developed this area are in the hands of the elderly and are in great danger of being permanently lost. Because I want to keep this heritage alive for our children and future generations, I am hoping to stir interest in gathering and preserving these heirloom varieties.

If you are interested in joining me in this endeavor, or if you just have seeds for old varieties that you would like to see preserved for the future, please post here, or send me an email so that we can begin to make plans.

I am hoping bunches of you join me!

Thanks!

Elise

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I suport you in this endeavour even though I do not live in your area!

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Elise-
I live in Tennessee just across the MS state line but work in Mississippi. I do most my shopping in MS except when I need non-Walmart ingredients (then I go to Memphis.) My DW & I have been ordering Heirlooms from Seedsavers, Native Seed Exchange, & others but haven't found local sources yet . . . We want to 'organically' garden & raise chickens but the local economy, bugs & attitudes make it difficult. I could not find non-GMO (genetically modified) soybeans at the Alcorn County Co-op and had to drive to Selmer, Tennessee instead. When I was at the Corinth, MS co-op I picked up the MSU (Miss. State Univ.) Extension Service "Garden Tabloid" and here's a direct quote: "Don't continue to use old vegetable varieties when there are new varieties available that are disease resistant, high yielding, and better quality." I don't know when it was published but it seems a little behind the times . . . .

Sign me up for the NE MS. I'll start hitting the farmers markets & see if I can find any heirlooms.

Joz (I attached a photo of Me, the DW, and my father, a WOOPPIE (Weirded-Out Old Person (which I'm quickly becoming)) & some silkies....

This message was edited Aug 8, 2004 2:37 PM

This message was edited Aug 9, 2004 5:55 AM

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Louisville, KY

I thought I would repost this information which first appeared in the Heirlooms thread. Melody and/or Brook could provide you with additional information.
Gary/Louisville

Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy is a non-profit network of heirloom food-plant enthusiasts. It's function is to provide a means for them to exchange information about collecting, raising, and preserving heirloom and open pollinated crop plants, particularly those with a central Appalachian connection; facilitate the sharing of heirloom seeds among the members; establish a seed bank of central Appalachian heirloom crops; record the documented history, anecdotal evidence, and background of heirloom varieties; and, in general, provide on-going education about heirlooms, crop diversity, and sustainable agricultural practices to the membership and general public.

While the food plants of Kentucky, W. Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee are of special interest, AHSC is also concerned with preserving the heirlooms of bordering Appalachian states, such as Georgia and Alabama.

Because of the historic movement of seed from Kentucky into Missouri, the Show-Me state also is considered part of our region.

Membership benefits include free samples of Appalachian heirloom seeds; a monthly newsletter; attendance at our twice-yearly get-togethers; and participation in our Living Seed Bank project.

For more information and a membership application, contact: Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy, Box 519, Richmond, KY 40476
E-mail address: KentuckySeeds@hotmail.com

Richland, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, Folks.

I appreciate your interest and encouragement in this. I'm kinda tired right now--we've been baling hay today--but I will email all of you soon.

Incidentally, I just got sent to Disney over at GW, I suppose for posting this identical message to the individual state forums I was trying to reach. Can't think of any other reason I might have gotten booted. Certainly was not informed why. Can anyone read this post and explain to me what my transgression might have been? Does anyone with experience know whether this banishment is likely to be permanent or temporary?

Oh, well. I posted a similar notice to about 7 or 8 freecycle groups on Sunday and have a bunch of responses already. Life does not hinge on GW. Thank goodness.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I am gonna ask a stupid question.... get ready!! LOL

What does that mean to get sent to Disney? I have never been over 'there' so I don't know. I keep seeing this and want to understand.

Louisville, KY

I have already posted this in the Heirloom Thread. But, thought that you might also be interested in the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center which Dr. Bill Best of Berea Kentucky is involved in. His passion is Heirloom Beans; he has a large collection and they have Beans availble for order on line. You may want to check them out. Be sure to read his articles on Heirloom Beans and Heirloom Tomatoes.
Gary/Louisville

http://www.heirlooms.org/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.