Job application time again

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hey ho. Spent all day on their wretched application form. Local college wanting a multimedia author. Less pay than the one I was interviwed for last month, but probalby more opportunities to improve my skills.

"The Personnel Team
Stockton Riverside College
Harvard Avenue
Thornaby
Stockton-on-Tees
TS17 6FB
4th August 2004

Dear Sirs

Multimedia Author (Ref No: G704)

I am interested in the position of Multimedia Author at your college, recently advertised in the ”Evening Gazette”.

I am a returner to employment, having been a carer during the 90s. I have returned to education and am now nearing the end of an M.Sc in Computing at the University of Teesside. I hope to graduate in September.

My dissertation involves extensive use of Macromedia Director and Adobe Photoshop to create a prototype CD-ROM to promote web services courses locally.

I am interested in educational issues and took a Courseware Design module as part of my degree. I am seeking an employer, such as yourself, with an enthusiasm in this subject area.

I have a broad range of software skills in both multimedia and programming and believe this would make me a strong member of your team. I am available for interview at any time, and hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours truly

Blah blah blah(Miss)

Encls"

Just ignore the addresses, the software creates a right mess of it. :(

This message was edited Aug 4, 2004 6:02 AM

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Good luck with this one Diane
It certainly seems to fit your interests

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

fingers crossed for you Diane, anyone who has read your posts would be stupid if they didn't snap you up.

Thank you all.

I have alll the skills that they require. My problem is I haven't worked in a long while. Also I had to give up one job on health grounds, which I had to declare on their application form. So I'm not too optimistic about this one as I haven't had any success with applications which ellicit medical background.

There may always be a first time - and this could be it ;)

Thank you Philomel. I don't think I've worded this application strongly or confidently enough. I have really good personal qualities - determination, guts, courage, and focus - which I could bring to any job - but I don't feel I've put them across yet. When I do find a way to do it, then my chances of finding work will go up.

I've made some good points in this application, but still not strongly enough.

You know you own all those excellent qualities, so take them to the interview with you :)

Thank you Philomel. Part of the problem is the illness that I've had in the past. It's brought these qualities to the forefront and been a formative experience for me. But I'm also worried about volunteering information of this nature, if I don't have to, in case they think I'm too risky to employ. And you just don't know how they will react.

Perhaps you could avoid detailing why you have the qualities, but focus on the fact that you have gained them?

No, not really Philomel. You have to justify the strengths that you claim to have. Give evidence for them. A claim to understand how to use Adobe Photoshop, for instance, can be substantiated by having passed university exams in it (which can be verified) plus say a portfolio of images on a CD-ROM.

Some of my strengths may be slightly stronger when I have finished and have the time to make up a CD-ROM or two and create my own website which future prospective employers can log onto.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

gOOD LUCK NORTHERNER. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thank you Pebble. I'm going to try and forget about this application now if I can - unless a nice brown envelope pops through my door to invite me for an interview perhaps.

There will be a Jobs Supplement in tonight's evening paper - I'll look through it when I get home tonight. Maybe there'll be another job I can apply for.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Hoping this one comes through for you. Meantime it doesn't hurt to apply for as many as you have the qualifications for. Somebody needs you somewhere, but they just haven't found you yet!

Thank you Doris.

Last night's paper wasn't too bright. There was a part-time teacher's post, but I don't have the teaching qualifications that they require.

An IT firm had three jobs going, but the top two required skills I don't have. The third one was more suitable for an HND student and not well-paid, looked very boring. I think I'm just passing on that one. Doesn't really use my skills.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.