Birds, anyone ? ...

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

We managed to move the flat feeder a bit closer to the front porch several weeks ago .. just to enable some better photo shots.
It took the birds some getting 'used to' .. but when they found that it still gets loaded up with 'goodies': their apprehension was very short-lived!!! Ha!
Here's a few pics, for now ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Pic #2 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Pic #3 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Pic #4 ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Pic #5 ..

A couple pics .. of the Flycatcher familys' 2nd batch of babies .. in SAME nest !!
We finally had to remove it and I've have it 'saved' also! Some unigue architecture!! But, geez what a 'mess' is made on the back porch floor .. when them babies hatch and start hangin' their fannies over the side!! .. LOL ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Pic #6 ..

.. another shot, but much closer. There's FIVE of those little scampus cat BIG babies in there! Take a count ... and you'll see!!
Jes don't forget to count the tail feathers sticking out ... LOL

Thumbnail by Magpye
McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Great bird shots Magpye!! A bluebird and a goldfinch at the same time! What is the bird number two? I don't recognize him.

I am really getting ready to get out of my cramped lot and into the country so I can see more birdlife (and other wildlife). On a happy note, I did see a Carolina Chickadee this weekend. I used to see them all the time at the old house, but I sure was excited to see him this weekend. Also, the house finches seem to have pushed the house sparrows out. I had tons of them (good colored males too) this weekend after replacing some safflower feeders with Sunflower chips.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

sweezel .. RE: What is the bird number two? I don't recognize him

It's the Tufted Titmouse !! .. He flies quickly to the feeders .. and exits even faster.

You buying property eslewhere ? .. Tell us about it.
Saw on another thread, that 'Happenstance' and fmly are lookin' to establish Happenstance II gardens soon ....

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I did not recognize him; he is looks different with his "tuft" back. Those and goldfinches are the other birds I use to see more at the old house.

Not buying anytime soon. :( I need to wait until our youngest is out of school - she is 10. We lived in the city before too, but in a lot with more property and trees. When my three step-kids moved in a 2 years ago we decided we would have to trade large lot for large house. 1100 sqft and 6 people just does not work.

Our closest friends recently bought land in Eastern Oklahoma though and we have been joining them there. Just makes me want to get out of the city more.

Oooh, I enjoy reading about Happenstance's yard and seeing her pics. Can't wait to see what she has up her sleeves next.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Magpye what a wonderful area you live in. So many different species and what lovely colors they have! :D

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! Love the colorful birds. Flat feeders are a great idea...my birds usually land on the wrong side of a feeder. Hehehe a new project for my DH. He'll love it!

Magpye, great pictures!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

nice magpye, the blue bird in the first pic..that is an indigo bunting right?

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Beautiful pictures...........

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Yep .. that's right - the male Indigo Bunting.
He's still pretty handsome here .. but, about a week or so after these were taken .. the Indigo males was starting to look mitey scrappy and plum 'undignified' - for they'd apparently started to molt!
And they've gotten far worse since! A mitey ruff appearance to the lil fellas! .. Hee Hee ..

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I've often heard some very faint little 'whistley' type calls in the trees .. and have, on a couple of occasions, been able to spy-ball the lil Black and White Warbler, but had never been able to fetch any decent pics of them ...

So, when I heard this same little call again, I quickly readied my cam'ra and tri-pod - in preparation to shoot these beautiful patterned wee little fellas, to my hearts desire. I kept hearing the calls, and they seemed to keep getting closer and closer .. but, could just never spot the Black and White Warbler. Just knew he had to be, practically, right on top of me. Never did see him .. so I just went back to shooting in the direction of the Aligator Log Feeder .. at more of the antics of the lil goofy greedy acrobatic Nuthatches ..

When, upon a wee bit closer examination .. Lo' and behold !! - I realized, that it wasn't two Nuthatches that I'd been seeing! It was just one Nuthatch - and the other little visitor, was the Yellow-Throated Warbler!!! Seeing only their back-side views .. he looked just like the Nuthatch. And, I was taking it for granted, that one was just a wee bit smaller .. a youngster maybe .. Then, when that little feller finally turned and that purtee yeller throat was full view of all to behold - - Whee boy!!!

So here ya go ...

My first ever sighting, and pitter/s, of the, apparently elusive ... Yellow-Throated Warbler !!

... Pic #1 ...

This message was edited Dec 7, 2005 9:08 AM

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

My first ever sighting, and pitter/s, of the, apparently elusive ...Yellow -Throated Warbler !! ... Pic #2 ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

My first ever sighting, and pitter/s, of the, apparently elusive ...Yellow -Throated Warbler !!

... Pic #3 ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

My first ever sighting, and pitter/s, of the, apparently elusive ...Yellow -Throated Warbler !!

... Pic #4 ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

... Pic #5 ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Last of ... My first ever sighting, and pitter/s, of the, apparently elusive ...Yellow -Throated Warbler !!

.. He flits over to the trellis .. ... Pic #6 ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
Modi'in, Israel

My goodness but you have some lovely colorful birds visiting your garden Magpye! Amazing! We get a really lovely yellow and white one in spring...I hope he comes back in a few weeks on his trip south. I also saw one lightish blue one in flight in spring, but didn't get a good enough look to even know apprx what he might be. Still keeping an eye out for birds overhead.

We're going to take a trip to the really large park in Tel Aviv later in the afternoon after the heat dissipates a bit. I'll be surprised if there aren't at least some crazy looking birds there already....though to get the most diverse pics, it'll probably be a few more weeks. I'll get pics if I can.

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Magpye, the wife says she wants to use that first shot for Christmas cards. Is that the "pole barn" feeder?

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh Magpye - what lovely pics! You lucky dog to get such great pics of the warbler! Ya done good!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

On a somewhat damp foggy morning, during Spring of 2003 .. this pair of Eastern Blue Birds decided to make use of the 'alligator log' ....

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Two male Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks on the alligator log feeder .. from early May this year ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

A pair of Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks at the feeder ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Mags, looks like he came uh-courtin' and she's 'trying' to be shy.

Or, maybe its Henry Gibson sliding up to Gilda Radner on that bench!

Or, maybe its a really nice pic of a pair of bluebirds on a Arkansas homestead.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Another pair of Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, with a Tufted Titmouse on a feeder ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

What an amazing variety of birds you have coming to your feeders.

Modi'in, Israel

It just makes me heave a big sigh....wow you have such an amazing variety of lovely lovely birds visiting you. You're a lucky woman! :-)

-Julie

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

Great photos of beautiful birds! Lucky you to have the variety that you do...

This message was edited Sep 9, 2004 11:37 AM

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

A few more various bird 'shots' ... Pic#1

The female Red-Bellied Woodpecker at the feeder .. early this Spring

Thumbnail by Magpye
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I gotta get me one of them there aligator logs!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

A few more various bird 'shots' ... Pic#2

The male Red-Bellied Woodpecker .. at the log feeder!

* HCzone .. take a good look-peek .. for,you can
actually see the 'slight' reddish hue, on his underside ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

In all sincerity .. the log does enable a far greater number of birds .. that don't/won't/can't normally 'try' to perch on just the feeder bars .. to come and feel a bit more 'comfy' about trying to feed there! .. Gives the variety of birds that come to put some 'elbow' room betwinx them too, while another grabs a seed and goes to another spot on the log!

Geez, they'll line up on the big alligator log .. waiting their 'turn' .. hee hee

And, one with some nice, good cracks in it, is even all the better! Most all of the birds use the cracks to support the seed, while they 'way-lay' into them with their beaks .. Hence, the birds stay around the feeder a bit longer. Sure makes fer some mite bit better (& extended) photo ops, I tell ya ...

A few more various bird 'shots' ... Pic #3

A White Crowned Sparrow .. on the ground below another feeder.

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

A few more various bird 'shots' ... Pic #4

A male White-Throated Sparrow. These, and several others .. visit us frequently, during the winter months with snow on the ground. That's when I get to see our elusive Fox Sparrows and Rufous-Sided Towhees also .. They're always so ready to feed, they lose a good bit of their inhibitions then ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Last of ... A few more various bird 'shots' ... Pic #5

This, is another shot of the flat feeder. See the female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak .. sorta suspended in air. hee hee

Also .. take a good look at the juvey male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak in the bunch in the feeder! (just a bit right of center)
He has his rosey colored breast alright .. but, has yet to acquire the darker/black coloring on his wings and back! .. hee hee ..
Seeing this unusually marked feller .. sorta chunked a monkey wrench into my thinkin', fer a spell .. until I got around to
doing a bit more reading and research about them ... hee

Thumbnail by Magpye
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Mags, do you have outdoor cats? I have two. They rarely (?) catch birds or anything else. But, they try. My feeders are well off the ground and are in the open. However, I am certain the cats are a major deterrent. Maybe a large platform feeder like your "aligator log" would help bring them in with a degree of safety. Or, maybe I should have my head examined. Would appreciate your input on this tough (for me) situation.

Modi'in, Israel

Yeah me too John. I wanna install a bird feeder, but I've got to figure out the best way to do it without having all the local cats hanging about for an easy lunch. AND I've got to figure out if it's even possible to erect a birdfeeder that won't have me drowning in PIGEON .... ehem ... well less than desirable forms of fertilizer. They already perch on the roof of our building, but fortunately the roof has two "sections" one interior and one exterior....and they do most of their "business" perched up in the interior section. I'd hate to encourage them to come have a smorgasbord in my garden only to leave a mess and no food for the more desirable birds (I'm a birdist I know, but I'm not fond of pigeons), but I DO want to find a way to encourage all the other lovely birds. Is this mission impossible?

This message was edited Sep 9, 2004 4:24 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.