storing your lily bulbs

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i read recently how a woman stores her lily bulbs over winter, when they come too late from the supplier or she hasn't the time to get them inground.
put your lily bulbs into an air tight bag (zip lock) with peat moss (can be very very slightly damp). put the bulbs into a plastic pail.
take a large trash can and put 4" of peat moss on the bottom, put in the pail and fill around the pail with peat moss. you can put in more than one pail, on top of each other, leaving 4" of room at the for peat moss. then put a top on the can. store in a shed or garage. unheated is fine.

last year i had a few asiatic bulbettes that i had put into some zip locks with peat moss in them. i tucked them into the bag of peat. this spring they had little roots on the bottom of them, when i found them. i had totally forgotten i had put them there. we had a week of -30 F weather with a day of -60, so they certainly took a beating. they were also located right next to the garage door, which was open 95% of the time. the winter here was far colder than it normally would have been. i'm zoned for -10F and it very rarely gets there. i lost over 50 plants in my garden beds, but those little asiatic bulbs did fine nestled in there peat.
now the woman in the article did go on to say that there were bulbs that did better than others under these circumstances. i can't remember where i saw this article or what the bulbs were. i'm thinking it might have been orienpets that did not do well this way. the others were more specific. example: 'prince joe shmoe' an oriental got basal rot. i am going to try this on some that i would like to put into containers next spring, from the co-op.
i figure that the worse that can happen is that i might end up with a few that have expired or with a few that i can take the scales and propogate some new lilies from.

here is an article too on propogating lilies from scales if anyone is interested. i plan to try this too.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_5_203/ai_56749796

hope this helps some of you out.
your lilium friends,
debi z and franklin p.

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

Thank you, debi_z. I am rearranging a bed in the Fall. I would remember this peat storage for my bulbs.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow! Great info ! I'm printing this out because I know I'll lov=se track of the thread over time. Thank You debiZ!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Great thread this is all most the same info I found last fall and used.
I had great success with an oriental bulb and 2 asiatics that I tried and it was really easy.
I have added a link to the page where I got the info from its very close to the same method, but they also have info on other methods of propogating that some might find interesting.
So far the ones I have tried I have had good success with. Have a couple new ones going on at the moment.
http://www.landspro.com/page2.htm

deb I hope you don't mind my jumping in on this.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

nope jump away, the more knowledge the better.
debi and franklin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.