Another Lily Coop?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I had planned on doing a coop again with The Lily Garden. However, in light of the excellent selection that Alice has in her BloomingBulb coop I'm wondering if there would be much interest/need for another lily-specific coop.

I spoke with The Lily Garden over the last 2 weeks and they are not able to ship until 2nd week of October after the harvest. They are willing to ship direct to the participants (which does save on shipping) but it would be 3rd week October before most folks will get them. Is that too late for Zone 3, 4 or 5 folks?

Is there any point for me to pursue a coop this Fall? Mind you their bulbs are much more expensive than those in the coop? I'd appreciate your honest feedback. Thanks!

Little Falls, MN(Zone 4a)

Brenda, it'd probably be too late for us in zone 3/4...hard to tell but I know the roots won't get much, if any of a start with as cold as it is then...where's the BloomingBulb coop?

That's OK...I found it....all I had to do was look!!! Dahh.....

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Brenda what kind of prices are you talking about and is there others that are not offered in Alices'? You know how we are we love bargains. lol

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Brenda, to be honest, yes I was hoping for a co-op with either Lily Garden or Lily Nook. I don't have any experience with planting as late as October, but our 'season' (in zone 5) does run about 1 month ahead of Lily Gardens.
I sure hope you do have a co-op, but I realize the late shipping would leave a lot of members out. Mary

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Peggy -

I did a Spring coop with them in April. Here's a link to that one to give you an idea of prices.

http://www.freewebs.com/langbr/index.htm

I'm not sure which cultivars would be offered yet for one in the Fall. Hopefully, some of the ones from the Spring and some different ones.

As you can see some offered this Spring are the same as Alice's (Casa Blanca, Bergamo) and a lot were different. Prices will be about 3 times that of Alice's for asiatic & orientals. BUT....the bulbs were mostly the size of my fist or slightly smaller on the orientals and orienpets. The asiatics are about the normal size you get from mail order (unless you shop the lily growers).

Brenda

This message was edited Aug 2, 2004 8:10 AM
edited to remove info that might be confusing to the subject at hand.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2004 8:13 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm game, Brenda!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Just looked at the Lily Nook, beautiful varieties, but me and my budget must pass, alas!

Thanks for thinking of us Brenda!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Violabird - FYI - the prices at Lily Nook are in Canadian funds. IF I remember right, subtract 25% and that is the appx. US funds.

Biloxi, MS(Zone 8b)

I would love to participate in this if you decide to do it!!
Charla

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Brenda, I would be happy to split and order with you. Doubt if it would be too late for me in zone 4a as I mulch everything very heavily.
I planted some in Nov. of last yr. and they made it just fine.

Please let me know what you decide.

Maxine

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

The coop would be from The Lily Garden in Washington state.

http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_general/index_alpha_images.html

My comment to Moby has been removed as I didin't want to confuse people on who the coop would be with.

So, Maxine & USMmom are you saying you'd be interested in a coop with them?

Brenda

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

to late for me brenda. i prefer to give them a bit of time to set there roots.
there bulbs are significantly larger than bloomingbulbs, but i don't mind watching them get bigger each year. :-) and i'm cheap. well actually, i like to get more for my money, nothing wrong with that. but........the lily garden and others can give you cultivars that you can't get anywhere else, that is what is nice about them. i will do some in the spring of course. :-)
i can't remember where i was now but you can store bulbs over winter. i'll write a post about it.
debi z

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm very new to lilies and gardening in general but if you thought the bulbs would survive in my zone 5, I'd love to participate. I've been eyeing a few things at the Lily Garden anyway. :)

Lana

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Their selection is so nice! I would be in! You have mail.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Sounds good to me, Brenda. Of course what I have picked out would happen to be the most expensive bulbs that they offer.
I guess what I am saying, is it would depend on what you offered in selection of bulbs or variety.

I will be in the area some time late Sept. or early Oct. so I did plan on stopping there. I really don't know if they sell to drop ins.

Maxine

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I would be interested. As long as our ground isn't frozen, we can did here in zone 5. I'll give it a try.

Brenda, they do have some gorgeous ones there but are a bit pricey for me and of course weather wise in this zone. Maybe next spring I'd be interested...there's a ton there I'd like.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm interested! I bought from Alice co-op, but I was looking for Trmpets too & more Orienpets. I don't have a huge budget with one in college & another going in a year. How many bulbs would you need to get us a deal?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

No minimum required purchase qtys Wanda. But The Lily Garden is on the expensive side. Take a look:

http://www.freewebs.com/langbr/liliesspring2004.htm

(this is the Spring coop I did with them to give you an idea of prices)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't think $3-4 for a nice bulb is a problem. If they're big, They'll fight better and save growing seasons in my garden.

Trumpets & Orienpets that aren't in Alice's co-op. Still looking for more colors.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I would be interested in this coop. Thanks, Deb

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Brenda, I am going to back out of this coop as I have ordered so many bulbs already, think I will need to find help to plant them all this fall!!

Thanks for sponsoring the coop.
Perhaps in the spring I will be ready to purchase again.

Maxine

Biloxi, MS(Zone 8b)

Hey,
I would love to do this co-op. Some of the varieties are not on the other co-op and they are soooo pretty! You can definitely count me in if you decide to do it.
Thanks so much!
Charla

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

me too

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Yes, me too! I've been wanting to buy some lily bulbs!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Count me in I am still lusting over some of those!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm game
I figure I can keep them cool and plant first thing in the spring
or start them in posts early on the spring

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Brenda, are you still thinking about doing this co-op?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Yep....probably next month, although I've not heard back from the grower in a couple of weeks.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, boy. I'm in trouble now!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

me too. i got there catalogue in the mail and i've already decided to order the 'sheherazade' which is on special 3/$15 and i forget the name of the other on special in the catalogue. this is there 25th anniversary, i for one am grateful they started the business 25 years ago. i have admired there flowers for 4 years now and i didn't want to order from them until i felt that i could give them justice in my gardens and that i wouldn't kill them. :-) the first few i ordered this past spring did well. yeah!!!!!!!!! i just looked at one of there winners for the early season, which i have only 1 group of tenufoliums, in early june. i need to fill the space between them and the blossoming of my a few of my aurelian trumpets before the asiatics join in. i would looooooooooooooooove for 'tinkerbell' to be on the list, but i tend to doubt it since it says they sell out early. http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_lilies/asiatic_pink_1.html#tin

ok i'll stop blah blah blahing now. :-D

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Lily coop is ON!!! I'll be running it probably from Sept 1-24th for ordering. Shipment will be direct from The Lily Garden to participants as dig time for bulbs is 1st week October and this will get bulbs to folks sooner than if they come to Kansas and then out, plus it saves on shipping. They estimate shipping will be mid-October. I've given them a list of requested varieties that everyone has either commented on or sent me emails about. I'm due to have the list by Friday morning so I'll begin working on the website showing the varieties offered. I'll post in the forum when the COOP starts.

Thanks to everyone that weighed in on this post so I could decide if there was enough interest.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Oh goody!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Whooppeeeee!!!

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh goody.....I'm so impatient!!!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Sounds great....anxious to see what they have?
Brigitte

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I sure do hope the ones I have lusting over are on that list!!! If not I suppose their will be other ones to lust over!!!!!

I am so excited, I missed the one you had the first time, and have been so jealous of all those photos you have all been sharing!!!

Now I can have some pics too next year!!!!

I am going to thank you in advance Brenda for doing this coop!!!!!
Alice

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Alice - send me your want list and I'll see what's not on the list they are sending me today and try to get them added.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh No now you are going to make me think!!!!!

I have to go back to those photos and find them. I know kooger had one that I was lusting for and that silk road I think were the two I was kicking myself over.

Beyong that I am sure I will be able to find some others that I HAVE TO HAVE!!!!!

Brenda you are such a sweetheart!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.