New coleus cross - what to do?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

I have had a new coleus cross volunteer in one of my large containers. I thought it was a seedling of Giant Exhibition Palisandra, which does tend to reseed itself everywhere, till it started getting bigger. Now I realize its a new one - and its completely fabulous (I can say that since I had nothing to do with its existence!) Same deep color as the Palisandra but with a raspberry stripe and speckling and with the large growth habit and more pointed leaf shape of a sun coleus. Have no idea who the other parent might be. The leaves are HUGE. Will post pics as soon as my camera defogs - humidity is unbelievable right now.

Now anybody know how I turn this bit of serendipity into fame and fortune? (or at least pay the vet - dog was hit by a car last week, bill climbing steadily as the summer heat...:((( )

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Diva, I don't what you might do with your brand new baby...but I'll gladly take a cutting or two. :-) (Gee, I could be your *first* customer! )

~julie~

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Someone will know, but here's my 2¢ worth: You need to take cuttings over and over and be sure they come true for a couple of years at least before doing anything else.

Then you can name it, and probably patent it. Marketing is the hard part, LOL!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Darius, since cuttings are basically "clones" I thought they had to come true every time? Is my biology off? (Been a long time since Bio 101 :)) Don't want to market - just sell that baby to some grower and go home with a check! Do I have to patent it first? Or do they do that?

Julie as everyone knows I am the most generous gardener in the DG universe (snicker) but I need all my cuttings to build up a stash - don't want my future fortune to get wiped out by a caterpillar! However when I am rich and famous I will remember you....;)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

DD, Yes, technically a cutting whould be a clone... but if it is just a random sport off a mother plant, I'm unsure.

Believe me, propagation is not my best suit! Don't take my advice as being worth more than 2¢.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes - even though it would be a clone it still needs to be trialled to make sure it will be consistent with it's growth habit.

Patenting a plant gives the creator rights to all profits made from the plant for "X" many years (I think it's 10 years). It's expensive - and in most cases it's not worth it.

Most hybridizers do not get rich - LOL. It takes years of trialling plants before they ever make it to market. If you have a nursery around that might be willing to trial the plant for you, ... they may be happy to take the plants off your hands in hopes it's something unique enough that they could market down the road. They might be willing to pay a modest price but I doubt it will be a lot.

When you get your pictures post it on the Tropical forum. Kyle Courtney (Eclipse) has hybridized and marketed several plants, and he has some experience with coleus. He might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Poppysue - that's all I want to do really, just find a grower who wants it. Thanks for referring me to Kyle. I'll work on the reproduction end meanwhile.

Darius its not a branch on the mother plant but a seedling grown from coleus I had growing around last year. Thanks!

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

You might try Terra Nova

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mary!!!

I called them and spoke with Gary - he asked for pics and recommended I try Glasshouseworks as well since they specialize in coleus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.