Seedling from Antwerps Hollyhock

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

You know it's getting really bad in your garden when the hollyhocks that are supposed to be planted 18-24" apart really need to be planted 3' from everything else. My antwerp hollyhock is now officially larger than my elephant ears. Mound measures 3' in diameter (One seedling), and leaves are 11 1/2" across. No flowers yet, any chance of seeing some htis year? Still hasn't finished putting on leaves either, as new ones are coming out daily. The one other seedling of this variety, is a puny 10" tall right. I"m going to have dig up a barberry bush to make room for this hollyhock.

Thumbnail by spacecowgirl
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I made the HUGE mistake of putting 3 seedlings less than 12 inches apart in one bed.OOPS!! Super big! Plus the bed had tons of other seedlings too that are just being covered up by these beasts. I had NO idea how big they would get!

Only one bloomed this year and that is apparently the norm. Most bloom the second year after planting. Just wait until fall and move it or move everything else, I guess. That is my plan because there is no way next year they can all compete for that space!

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean...I"m tilling today...tillling, tilling, tilling...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.