Bottlebrush

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

How do you root a crimson bottlebrush bush? Mine needs to be trimmed back, she just finished blooming for the 2nd time this year, and I want to start some new ones for other spots in my garden. Would be willing to start some for others if anyone needs one.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

spacecowgirl I would like to get one if you get them to root.

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

Bottlebrush propagation: It can be rooted from semi-hardwood cuttings. To determine a good piece for a cutting, bend the stem through 60 - 90 degrees. If it springs back to its original position, it's good for rooting; if it breaks, or remains limp, it's not as suitable. Cuttings should be about 3-4" in length, with the leaves carefully removed from the lower 1/2 to 2/3; 'wounding' the lower stem (removing a sliver of bark) & treating with rooting hormone improve success rate. The lower end of the cutting is usually cut directly below a leaf/stem junction.

Use a mix of 1 part peat, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part perlite & 1 part good potting soil. Moisten the mix, then poke a pencil down into it to make a hole for your cutting. Place the cutting in the soil mix, so that it touches the bottom of the hole, trying not to brush the rooting hormone off when placing it. Firm the soil around the cutting, then water again. Keep your cuttings in a shaded, humid environment (if your pot is small enough, put it into a large zip-loc, if not, a large somewhat clear plastic bag). Try to provide some kind of framework within the bag to keep the plastic off the leaves - you can use sticks stuck in the pot (taller than the cuttings), etc, to form a 'teepee' effect. You want to keep the soil moist, but the leaves dry.

Roots should form in 4-8 weeks. Once rooting has taken place, harden them off by leaving the bag open at night for 2 weeks, then they can be taken out of the plastic and moved to a shady spot for 2 more weeks.

Hope this helps!

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

Cool! Thanks so much. I'll get that tray inside a bag then and put it in the corner alone for a month. You're a big help!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

spacecowgirl
is it hardy for you? i cant remember if i go tmine off of you or not but if not i would love to have one from you,mine never bloomed and i would love to have one that might bloom for me please root me one and lmk what you would like in exchange and thanks
moretz

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

I'll try. This is my first one in years, planted in the ground in a 5-gallon nursery pot, just in case it starts to look bad. I"m getting ready to harvest seed pods so they can dry as well. This one is getting ready to flush blooms for the 2nd time this year, this time better than the first. It was getting ready to bloom in April when I bought it on a clearance rack, and beautiful again.True red.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.