Is there a book on Seed Saving for Dummies?

Bourbonnais, IL(Zone 5b)

I am a total newbie at this, but would like to give it a try. I want to start first of all with my rose mallow. Where do I look? What am I looking for? What do I do with the seeds once I figure out where they are? Is this like a birds and bees thing that I should have learned from my parents?????? Did I miss the 5th grade lecture???? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I'm very visual - are there pictures to guide me?????

This message was edited Jul 27, 2004 2:02 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I started at the library and also got TONS of info on the WEB.
Do a search for "rose mallow" or "rose mallow" +seeds on google or another search engine. Can also do a search here for LOTS of info.

My absolute most favorite book on growing plants from seed is "From Seed to Bloom" by Eileen Powell. ISBN # 0-88266-259-7. Not only that, it answers questions for the care of just about any plant you can think of, whether you are growing from seed or not.

Edited to say you might want to check out the Garden Bookworm at the top of your screen.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2004 7:20 PM

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I have been looking for a book dedicated to the collecting of seeds and have never found exactly what I am looking for. I do have one precious oldie, Plant Propagation published early 1900's that gives the best method for most plants, but it does not include everything, nor does it include any secrets you find along the way. For instance, Loropetalum is as easy as can be. After the flowers fade there is the seed pod just waiting to be picked after it dries. My snail vine supposedly needs ants for seeds to form. Mine is covered with ants, and still, three seasons later, no seeds. Am I looking in the wrong spots? Are those really seeds inside the dried flowers of my Curry or Dusty Miller, and if so, why can't I get any of them to sprout?

Another question, the rumor that hybrids don't have seeds or if they do, they aren't viable? True or false? Am I wasting my time with some of these? Would truly appreciate any wise old gardener's wisdoms here.

I think my new motto is: Too many plant projects, too little time.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

http://www.abebooks.com list two books of that title (Plant Propagation) - one by Bob Price, the other by Alfred Carl Hottes. Both can be got for a little money plus a relatively large amount of postage from the above site.

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I do own the Hottes book, but your link is grand, I shall be spending some time (and undoubtedly some money) there....thank you!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.