LLililyfan Came to Visit!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Yesterday, Lilyfan spent the day in Cedar Rapids with me and a couple of gardening friends. I didn't have many lilies to show her, but I saw her taking notes on the dayliles! :)

We saw another wonderful shade & sun garden in town, then went to North Liberty to get lost in Zonedenial's Eden. Wow! I didn't know lilies got the tall! The scent and colors threading thru his pathways were intoxicating....

So, Llilyfan--coming again???

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

You know, I didn't take you through ALL the pathways in the garden; just enough to get you all turned around and lost, just in case Llilyfan was serious about coming back after dark with a flashlight and a gunny sack... though I can't think anybody would be brave enough to try to purloin my primroses after meeting our attack kittens, Sadie and Snickers... they'd just as soon lick you to death as look at you! Here's yet another Oriental lily, Arabian Red, which has a perfume that I can't quite describe.
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Yep, I sure did visit Wanda's garden and had a wonderful time. She is a very generous and fun hostess. Her gardens are just like her, alive with color and full of vibrant life.

Zonedenials garden was just as Wanda says an EDEN! It was so peaceful and yet filled with such intriging plants. I think I'll have to be very careful of those kittens when I sneak in with my shovel! Of course, since I have virtually no shade you are probably safe!

Wanda's friend shared her garden with us also and it was so wonderful to see the creative and artistic expression in her gardens.

It was a very good day.

Ha! Sue only said 10 words to me all day last summer on a DG outing. She topped that in 1 minute this year! LOL We had such great fun touring gardens.

Poor Zonedenial had to put up with a gaggle of us poking into the corners & diving for ID tags. (SHHH> Don't tell Don I have a GPS unit marked on myf avorite cultivars so I can swim his pond, climb thru the woods & raid his garden some dark night...Anybody know of a good "attack kitten repellant???)

This message was edited Jul 26, 2004 10:33 PM

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

"Anybody know of a good "attack kitten repellant???"

DOGS!

LOL I hadn't thought of that! Hey, zonedenial, Walker the Wonder Dog wants to come for a visit. He'll get those pesky attack kittens out of the trees! (Wonder Dog as in "I wonder what he will destroy next???")

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Poor, Wonder!! In the doghouse, he is.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Fear the Attack kittens%$444444444444444(guess who just walked across the keyboard)!
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I don't know Wanda.....after seeing that pic of the Killer Kitty I think I'd think twice about a midnight raid!

Don....that pic is just adorable...makes me want to run out and get another kitty!! I just love kittens & puppies.

Don, gee--I didn't recognize her since she wasn't hanging upside down in a tree....

As to the doghouse for the "Wondermutt"?? I wish! This spring, he grabbed my Iris photo album & tore 250+ photos into shreds. Even the cover of the album was in pieces nop bigger than a quarter. I swear I only turned my back on him for a few seconds--Presto! Photo confetti!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Got some more new lilies blooming: this is Oriental lily "Dilly"; the whole garden smells like a big box of baby powder.
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Baby powder...really?? Beautiful pic!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Now that's some speckled lilies!! Love it!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Zone the dilly is just that!!! I love all the spots! Do you remember where you found that one, I don't think I have seen it before!

I will have to remember to take a photo of bubba the next time he decides to plop and take a nap on the keyboard! It wouldn't be so bad if he would just walk across it!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Alice,
I think I got Dilly from B&D lilies, but it's widely available. The petals have very thick substance so it holds up very well. It's been a good lily year here with the rain.
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info Zone I will be looking for it! I have decided that I want even more asiatics and orientals in my gardens. I love the daylilies but I really like the way the blooms hold so much longer on the asiatics, trumpets, and orientals.
alice

zonedenial--"baby powder" smell is great--it's the other baby stuff that comes BEFORE the powder that I don't care for.
LOL

Zone--like you need more lilies??? Sure you do--I think there must be another acre or two you could do in Lilies if you got out the chainsaw....

Colette said to say "Hi" and to apologize for the way we ladies descended upon you. She is still babbling in shock about your collection of shade plants.

So, When are you going to tear yourself away & come to see my modest attempt at gardening???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.