hollyhock

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

I'd like to use my hollyhocks as cut flowers. I've tried to "cauterize" over the stove flame. The juice still flows and the flowers wilt. Any help?

Thumbnail by kokopelli
Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Have you tried just sticking them in a vase of plain water immediately after cutting them? I've used them in arrangements occasionally, but I didn't do anything special with them, other than I take a vase full of water out with me and strip the bottom leaves before I put them in it. They didn't seem to get too terribly wilty for me.(That I can remember, that is!)

By the way...absolutely lovely garden and house! Do you water a lot? It looks so lush and I know it is very arid where you are.

naturepatch

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello,
Beautiful.....Beautiful......Home and garden.....
My website is www.homeandgardenwroughtiron.com please visit if you have a chance.

Thanks in advance,
Linda(bilyn)

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

Thank you both, you are too kind:). I must admit to watering a lot. We have the advantage of a well and cistern. I definately use both. But, we have gotten a lot of rain this month. And, being at the bottom of the Rockies (we're at 7200ft) we have more moisture and are a bit cooler, even just 6 miles out of town. I've noticed a change of about 5 degrees just coming around the last curve, about a 1/2 mile from our house. We have our own awesome microclimate.

Since we are in a more arid part of the world I tend to let most things grow, and don't weed out much. I graciously accept volunteers. Rules of thumb, I've got two, if it's encroaching on something I love, it goes, and if it's ugly out it comes. A lot of what you see in those beds are wild spinach, also called quelites (larkspur, feverfew, and sunflowers too.)I've got an amazingly lush space on a lower terrace from quelites going wild. Amongst two pine trees, and a plum, rhubarb, asparagus and lots of never harvested onion and garlic, quelites have filled everywhere I haven't mulched with pine needles. I have been very blessed!

Here's a picture of my quelites "garden" from a few weeks ago. It's filled out a bunch since then.

Lynn - your site could keep me going on a wish list for a long time. Cool stuff and cool links!

Thumbnail by kokopelli
Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you, Linda

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Do you have a close-up image of your quelites? I'm curious.

naturepatch

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

Linda, sorry I changed your name. The nerve of me! I read your user name and came up with by Lynn.

Naturepatch,
Here's a closer shot. I think I've seen them under the name lambs quarters. Cooked right, they're really tasty. Steam, boil or blanch, chop and fry in oil with onion, garlic, oregano and red chili. Dinner, with cooked beans. Pretty simple but good.
kokopelli

Thumbnail by kokopelli
Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Arrgggg! Lamb's Quarters! My nemisis! Lol! They are trying to take over one of my flowerbeds here. Horribly invasive for me. Maybe I'd feel better about them if I ate them! Lol! That is just facinating...one man's weed is another man's treasure! They look lovely and lush for you though. Are they really tasty? I've never heard of anyone eating them before...that I can remember. Do you have to cook them when they are young?

naturepatch

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

They're a strong flavored spinach. Out here people collect them like they collect wild asparagus. They're best when they're young. But, what most folks do is snap them off above the roots so they grow back. You could use the same kind of test for what you put in the pot as snapping the bottom off asparagus. I had to experiment a bit. I've started blanching and freezing them for the winter. If you like red chili, garlic, oregano and onion you probably would feel goo to pull them out at the roots, then chop off the roots with a good wack of a chef's knife. I blanch them myself or lightly cook with a small amount of water. Let them cool. Then saute the combination you like of onion and garlic in olive oil, chop spinach (I use my chef's knife here too) add it, chopped fresh oregano is good (dried will work) add it next. Then shake on dried (powdered or crushed) red chile, mix well and eat! Try it and see what you think! If nothing else, wielding a big knife against your nemesis ought to feel good!

Almost forgot, don't forget fresh tortillas and the beans!

yummmm.

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Hmmmm....might take me a while to work up the guts to try this! Lol! I'd feel like a regular Yule Gibbons. (Don't know if you're old enough to remember him.) Guess I'm a big chicken when it comes to trying some new things. Sounds tasty though. Now if you cooked them for me....... :)

naturepatch

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

The door is open! Drop in anytime. I'll even make fresh tortillas myself!

Thumbnail by kokopelli
Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Oooh! Lovely shot of the flowers and pines! And now you've gone and overdone it...offering to cook for me!Lol! I just might hold you to that offer. You're not all that far from Albuquerque.

naturepatch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.