How to sow?

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I have Liatris seeds , want to know , when to sow , is there any special procedure for germination of these seeds? When these will bloom after germination?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It depends on which Liatris it is. I've started some from seed, but I'm not sure which kind. As I recall they weren't hard to do. I think they can be slow germinators and may need to be chilled. It would help to know which species.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I am interested in growing liatris too. I found this link that might give you some liatris seed germination info for the different varieties--http://www.hardyplants.com/L.htm.

Last year I purchased 'bulbs' for 'kobold' and 'spicata'--they came up all looking alike. (I wonder if there is a difference?). Now I would like to try from seed, too.

I wonder if it will take two years to get a flower...some say so.

I want to try to grow the very tall variety, too. Good luck. T.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Tabasco: I looked up Kobold, & it seems it is a Liatris spicata cultivar. In other words, Genus: Liatris, Species: spicata, Cultivar: 'Kobold'. Common Liatris spicata names are Blazing Star or Gay Feather. I don't think they will bloom the first year: http://www.allisonvillenursery.com/kobold.htm

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

According to normally reliable Ontario Rock Garden Society they germinate within 3 months at normal summer temperatures.

They require darkness to germinate, so I would advise either 'paper towel/coffee filter' method or putting the pot of sown seeds in a cupboard.

With your short winter, you should be able to encourage flowering within a year - but not this year.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Ohio doesn't have a winter as short as Pakistan, does it?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I don't know anything about Pakistan's climate, but I imagine it's quite variable according to the geography/topography. Southwestern Ohio seems to have a rather short mild winter, but lots of 'micro climates' here because of the hilly forested terrain and Ohio river--but then, I've only lived here for one winter!

Back to Liatris--I am going to start my seeds using the coffee filter method, I guess. Will try both spicata kobold and floristan (to compare) and some of the taller 'prairie' cultivars, too, since I am looking for some height.

Thanks for the 'deep background' on liatris. T.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Thankyou all of , I received these seeds in trade dont know thier exact names just know these are mix seeds.I am living in zone 9b .October , November ,December, January and February are our winter months .In my area we dont have snow in winters but temperature goes down to 0 degree celcious .Now you all can give me good advise , what can I do with my Liatris seeds? If sow these direct in pots or shift the pots in cupboard? In these days temperature is 35 to 40 degree celcious.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.