cucumbers

Enkoping, Sweden

Hi friends,I was looking at jung seeds catalogue and I saw some cucumbers that looked very interesting for next year.Now I wonder if any of you have have tried them and if they are as good as they described them.The kinds are

arkansas little leaf h19
little tyke hyb

Roger

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I grew out "Little Leaf" year before last...don't remember it being called Arkansas Little Leaf though.

From what I remember it is parthenocarpic and I tried it thinking I could keep it under row covers at all times to protect it from the bugs. It didn't great for me but it could've been my fault. (Bugs really go for my cukes here and I'm not one to keep up w/all the spraying.)

Haven't heard of or grown out the other one you mentioned.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Both of these are pickling cukes. Both are relatively new. The H-19 is open pollinated but is plant variety protected. Several northern seed companies like Jung and Field promote the Little Tyke but company info is sparse. H-19 is in the PDB and Littel Tyke will be shortly. Neither is recommnded for anthing other than the small whole pickles, They are not slicers.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Farmerdill.

But now I'm really getting confused. This website says :
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag552f.html

"An example of a field-grown parthenocarpic cultivar is H-19, a little-leaf type". Could there be other "little leaf" varieties?

And this one, https://www.rhshumway.com/shumsite/shumsiteviewproduct.aspx?ProductID=21103 says they are high-producers (something I didn't get to witness in my garden!). (Note the pics they offer, looks bigger than the picklers I've been growing.)

It now dawns on me that some OP plants can also be considered parthenocarpic, and vice-versa, eh? Or maybe parthenocarpic plants can be OP.

Learn sumpin' new everyday!

Farmerdill...did you have good results with the H-19 down your way? Maybe I should try them again next year.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I did something wrong when I tried to send this the first time, will try again. This is a photo of 10 of the Jung's Orient Express cukes that i picked last evening. I will take them to the Senior Center tomorrow to share with the people there. They are to my mind an excellent slicing cucumber. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Rutholive (Donna) post that pic to the PDB please. Cuke info is sparse.

Shoe; I don't currently know anyone who grows picklers. I last grew them in the late 40's (Chicago pickling) back in Virginia. The H-19 was developed at the University of Arkansas in 1991 so I would expect it to grow in the middle to upper south but I have no personal experience with it. The little leaf was reported as a mutation by Arkansas U in 1980, but I don't know if any other little leaf type cultivars were released to the public. Did discover that North Carolina is one of the top producers of pickling cukes in the US, but H-19 is not on their list. Seems to be mostly a home garden cultivar which several sources reccommend for container growing.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Fdill...good info.

Enkoping, Sweden

farmerdill,do you know what kind that are in the top,the cucumber I grow have to take colder and rainier weather at least this terrible year.does anyone know what to do with a lot of cabbage I think after all slugs and other animal get theres of it I will have about 3 tons perhaps, moore or less.
I can make saurecraut of 2 tons.

Roger

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The Dutch company Enza Zaden http://www.enzazaden.nl/site/uk/index.htm has a wide listing of cukes some of which are touted to be cold tolerant. My conditions are much different daytime temps around 38 celsius.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Shoe I am growing a shoeacuke this year for the first time when is it ripe I just picked one smaller than a hard ball sort of whitish greenish then saw some kind of turning sorta school bus yellow.Ernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ernie...did I send you seeds of the Lemon cuke? (A.k.a. lemon apple cuke).

If so, they are ripe when light yellow. Once they turn a darker yellow they are still edible but the texture becomes more tough.

I sell lots of those to the "gourmet" restaraunts...course now, I eats plenty of them myself!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Shoe yes you did so I should go pull the ones that are turning school bus yellow right now another hint is their size thanks Erniel

Tygh Valley, OR(Zone 6a)

I love these Lemon cukes, they're on permanent planting list ;)

I added a couple photos to the PDB & this ones still pending.

I love the crunch & will be trying pickles soon.

cheers

Thumbnail by Oregonics

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.