Our Spring '04 veggie garden pics

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Some pics of this years (Spring) veggie garden ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #2

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #3

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #4

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #5

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #6

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #7

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #8

Entertaining myself again! .. hee hee

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #9

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #10

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #11

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #12

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #13

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #14

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #15

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #16

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #17

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #18

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #19

* .. only 6 more pics, for tonite .. *

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #20

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #21

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #22

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #23

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Our veggie garden .. Pic #24

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

THE END !!! - - - Our veggie garden .. Pic #25

This is another pic, of our sittin' & shellin' place .. along with our 2nd batch of Christmas Limas (butter bean)!!

We've got one more row of Irish/Red Taters to dig .. sometime tomorrow. That 'too much RAIN' that we'd been having awhile back .. took a wee toll on the tater production .. but still satisfied with the harvest overall.

Now .. we find that we actually NEED .. some of that 'too much rain' that we were complaining about not long ago!!

Our Sweet Tater, Watermelon, Squash, Cukes, Pepper, and Cherry Maters .. are located elsewhere. But, I'll wait and post only a few of those some other time. (LOL)

Ha! .. Think I've taken up plenty too much time and room on this forum for tonite!! .. Agreed?!? .. lol

Hope some of you guys enjoyed the virtual 'stroll' through our veggies ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

WOW!!! I am as green with envy as your plants. What a beautiful garden! The whole setting is awesome! How peaceful!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

MAGPYE, That was just great!!! Your pictures are so beautiful that I can visualize myself on your porch sitting in the rocking chair and smelling the sweet scent of the forest.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Magpye~
Don't forget to get us pictures of your harvest, I love seeing those!
~Tamara

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

magpye - do yoiu grow all of that for your own use or do you have a business? also, what are you using to keep the weeds away? the whole scene is unbelieveable. thanks for sharing.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd like to know how you keep it so "weedless" too.

Anyone who doesn't think of a vegetable garden as beautiful should have a look at your pictures.

Just wonderful, Thanks for Sharing.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Now, THAT'S a veggie garden! Either you are feeding the local militia or you do a lot of freezing and canning! This sort of pictorial saga of the garden would be just great as a journal segment, wouldn't it? I've got to learn how to use the journal option on Dave's!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Hee .. the ol front porch has seen many a family member, friend and visitor 'set' on her .. in just the few years we've been in NW AR, I tell ya !!

LOL .. Heck, when it comes to gardening, the only 'business' around here - is the business of commencing our hind ends 'in gear' and gettin' it done!

Altho' there is the occasional 'pitter takin' breaks, for me .. of which hubby declares I need to put the thing (camera) down for a mite bit longer spell sometimes! hee

Mmmm ... Incidently, I've yet to see him getting in, up and under all of these dense vining Christmas Lima Bean plants .. and getting his hair and clothes all stuck in the velcro leaves .. just to pull a butter bean pod or two either!! .. LOL .. LOL ..

We raise our garden for ourselves .. and do a bit of cannin' and freezin' of what we're able to. Ya know, there haint too much of anything tastes any better, than garden fresh veggies!!!! We find it a priviledge to be able to share with our two youngest daughters & their respective families, that live within an hour or so of us.

Have sent a few veggies home with a son that lives in TX and another daughter that lives in LA, a time or two. A fifth yunkin, now lives out in New Mexico and would probably care less for fresh veggies .. 'lessen they breath'd, had hooves and she could chunk a saddle on and ride'em!! .. LOL .. The gal eats, sleeps and breathes horses, I tell ya!

To state 'weedless' is going some .. but, it's mostly hard work and diligence. hee .. The greatest aid in most any form of 'soil' gardening to us, is our resorting to what a lot of folks may would like to call 'myth' gardening: (sowing seed, weeding and the like) according to the signs and positions of the Moon!! (umm humm, I used to do the zact same thing - giggle & chuckle out loud, and then mumble under my breath that I think these 'old' folks are plum nuts!) .. But, guess what .. it's tried and true, and it definitely works!!

The ol front tine tiller has long paid for itself .. and times over! Turn the weeds over (or under) on the 'right' day and sign ... pretty much nips it in the bud!

Now, don't no body try to go askin' me to give ya all the fundamental details of 'gardening with da moon' ... for unless I've just gotten up from the book or my pooter, and refreshing my pea brain with all of the info associated, less than, say, 24 hrs ago - - I'm really unable tell ya much of anythin'! However, one can search the internet and check with the book stores, etc. .. about it! That'd be ya best bet, by far!

It's sorta like the 'companion' gardening thing .. That 'works' also - but unless I've got my info very NEWLY re-freshed (and usually right at my fingertips) - - I'd just as liable to go planting tickweed next to cantalopes, and wonder "why on earth am I'm itchin' so, and what's all them bugs doing eating my melons?" .. or somethin' to that effect!! .. hee hee hee ..

Weez ... The garden journal sounds like a good idea too, but it seems to me like you've had the same problem I've run into. As in .. 'where do I go, and how on earth do I get started!?!' .. lol .. Sounds like a plan to me .. hee You learn, then tell me - alrighty? ..

I've gotta ask tho' ... Did anybody happen to notice all them thar rocks in those pics of our garden ?!? See there - I toldja the thangs reproduce! .. hee hee ..

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Terry has a journal tutorial around here somewhere. I keep saying that will be my winter project, but everytime I get a hole in my schedule, something falls into it!

Have you ever noticed that rocks always rise to the top when you are gardening and sink to the bottom when you're trying to put in a gravel driveway. Must be Murphy's Law.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Magpye, absolutly wonderful garden. I too wondered if you fed the whole neighborhood. And weed free!! I only have a very tiny garden compared to yours and I can't keep it weed free. None of my family live close so can't share with them, so I just plant what I think I can use. I agree that planting by the moon works, only thing is I just forget. Did think about it when I planted my second radishes but went ahead and planted in the light of the moon, did not get one radish!!!!!! That should teach me huh! Donna

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. Oh Oh ...
I (ashamedly) stand corrected!! .. The hubby just ever so politely informed me, that we have a REAR tine tilller - not a 'front' tine as I'd stated earlier ..
Welllll, hey .. I KNEW that!! .. I just sorta like simply got my pea brain a bit back 'behind' my fangers, that's all !! ..
(Just a goofy lil oversight on my part) hee
Next he'll tell me that 'tilller' don't have three 'ts' either! hee hee hee hee

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Some 'harvest' pics .. of Sweet Corn and some t'maters ..
(2 pics)

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Some 'harvest' pics .. Pic #2 ..

I've never bothered to do a 'taste-test' of any RAW ear of corn, but I sure did this mornin'! Raw mindja!! And .. oh my, I'm glad I did!
It was ever so wonderfully d-lishusly sweet, and I'd 'swear to goodness' .. that it tasted like it was already butter'd too ! ! ! ! Mmmm .. good!!
In this pic .. I lifted a few 'ears' of the Golden Bantam sweet corn from the blanching pot. Tis 'golden' for sure!!
The blurriness that is visible in the pic .. is simply hot steam rising from the pot ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Wow, Magpye~
That Golden Bantam looks good enough for me to print out and munch on!
I have two crops of GB coming up. This is my first year to grow corn, and I am luvinit@@@!!!

For anyone else interested in gardening by the moon, I got a calendar from this site below which was quite helpful. It is selected according to your time zone and growing season. Has a little explanation if you care, but mostly keeps it very simple and straight forward.

I started out using the trusty farmer's almanac, and ended up starting hundreds of plants indoors in March, late at nigh tafter the kids were in bed. Turns out, it was during the moon's "void of course" which I had no knowledge of. But those seeds sure knew, as out of hundreds, I only got one tomato four peppers and six marigolds. Here is the link; you can even print it out monthly instead of buying one.

http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com

Magpye, what kind of maters are they, don't keep us guessing???

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I get that calendar every year and I love it. It's even available for different zones with planting/weeding reminders on each month's page.

Magpye, your garden is luscious!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2004 12:01 PM

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Fantastic , you have too big vegg. garden. What you do with these vegitables? No one can cook these altogether.But after all you have beautiful vegitable garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.