Anyone growing Quisqualis indica?

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I just received a double Quisqualis indica from Gardino's and repotted it to a larger container. Since then, it is starting to flower, but it is also started to drop all lower leaves. They turn yellow before dropping off. Any idea why this is happening? It's been very hot here, and the Rangoon Creeper is in full sun. I haven't been able to find much care information on this vine so any help will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I have it, but it is in the ground and in full sun. Check if your pot is holding water instead of draining. I am of the impression that it suits growing in the ground and that pot seems to be too small for a climber that can grow almost 20 feet with support. It will have a woody stem as it gets old and I think it needs some space for the roots to grow.

Thanks, Dinu. You've been a great help to me. I will put mine in the ground if I can find a spot! Thanks again.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Clare, I've had one of these (although not the double) for four years and it's huge. It's technically growing in a pot, but it long ago broke the bottom and rooted into the ground LOL. It's in full sun, and I water it regularly, and from what I can tell it loves heat. A few pictures of it are below...

This one is from about 2 months ago.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2004 11:23 PM

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one of the main trellis it's on. This was taken from my roof because that's the only way I can get the whole thing in the picture. This was taken a few days ago and you can see how much bigger it's gotten since the previous picture.

Thumbnail by Indigoez

Indigoez, your vine is awesome! Thanks for posting those pictures. I had no idea how huge this vine can get. Mine is just a little fella right now. I guess I need to rethink its location and current living conditions! I just moved it to a eight-inch container, and it must be outgrowing it already. How's the fragrance for you? It seemed to me to be somewhat like Jasmine Sambac. I'm not sure I like it yet:-)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

It will have a few thorns on old stems, but that I don't think is troublesome to handle. I noticed one branch climbing to the top of the high Polyalthia longifolia tree and flowering there. Mine is not the double, but single in very good red. Also, I have found 3-4 little plantlets growing near the mother plant and I have removed them and put in covers - waiting for some friends who might be interested.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

This is sure pretty, but here in my zone I would certainly have to keep in a pot!! move inside in winter, and I think that would stunt it's growth, do you all cut yours back in "winter" months? Sure is pretty, good luck with yours Clare!!

Dinu, if I could grow it I would be a friendly begger lol

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Clare, I purchased this one also but mine is still in a pot being harden off. Keep me posted as to how yours does. I'm in zone 7 and it's probably not hardy here.

Dinu, your vine is beautiful.

Thanks Dinu, OhioBreezy, and Ada! The Plants Database says it is hardy in Zone 10 and 11: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/31530/index.html

Ada, I will definitely let you know how mine does. I'm going to go dig something up now so I can plant my Rangoon Creeper!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I guess I'd better leave mine in a big pot so I can move it inside this winter. Thanks Clare.

Ada, I just looked around and could find absolutely nowhere to plant it in the ground so I put mine in a big pot too. It is definitely overpotted in a seven-gallon container, but I figured that it would be hard to repot it later on when it is much larger.

Does anyone know if this vine is susceptible to root rot when it is small? I'll have to be really careful not to water it much until it has had a chance to expand more into the large container. I just don't want to lose this vine if the soil stays too wet. It is very warm here so I think the heat will absorb some of the moisture.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all,

Clare, the fragrance takes a little getting used to, it always seems to have a 'chemicalish' undertone to it for some reason, at least to my nose. Did you notice that the fragrance is much stronger at night btw?

On hardiness, I live in zone 9a, and only the very tips of younger branches die here, if anything. The last two years it hasn't been cold enough to even totally defoliate it.

Root rot wise I have no info...

Here's another pic from the underneath so you can see how large the stems get, and this is the upper portion, the lower part is twice the size of the one in the picture. It really does require heavy support once it gets going.

Thumbnail by Indigoez

Thanks again, Indigoez. Wow, that is a serious vine. I better go buy a better support for this vine. The space I have it in is against a brick wall and situated between a Thunbergia mysorensis and a Dalechampia vine. This one is going take over with the best of them!

This picture isn't great, but you can get an idea where it is going to grow. The Thunbergia mysoreniss is planted in the ground in the lower lefthand corner and is still small at this point. The Dalechampia is in a container and outgrowing it rapidly. I have a Telosma cordata in a container next to the Dalechampia, and a Stephanotis vine in front.

I'm going to smell mine tonight. Thanks for the tip:-)

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Any update on the smell at night, Clare?

Also, I noticed something interesting last night, which was that for the first time, I actually saw an insect visiting the flowers, the bug being one of those hummingbird sized nocturnal moths with the really loooong tongue.

I was starting to think that it was pollinated by some specialized thing that we don't have here, because I never see any butterflies, moths, etc. pay any attention to it.

Anyone have info on visitors to their creepers?

Oh yeah, a picture of last night's blooms....

Thumbnail by Indigoez

Hi Indigoez, yes, the fragrance is lovely at night. Very sweet. I only have a few flowers so the intensity is not that strong yet. I keep hoping that it will put on some growth because it is still pretty straggley yet. I should probably pinch off the flowers to encourage growth.

What you saw is a hawk moth which also pollinates Brugmansias and other tropicals which release their scent at night. It's eggs hatch into the tomato hornworm, which can devour a great deal in a small amount of time. They are huge fat green worms.

Lovely picture!

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Ah yes, I am familiar with the tomato hornworm. I didn't realize they were from that particular moth... perhaps I'll be less inclined to dispose of them now. Ok, so maybe not hehe.

As for the straggley growth, have patience. Trust me, pinching or not, once it gets going it won't be stopped.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Clare, my vine is looking badly like it may die. It was outside and we've had so much rain. It was staying too wet so I moved it inside the garage.

LOL, Indigoez! Okay, I'll take your word for it and be patient:-)

Uh oh, Ada! I hope it will be all right! I did hear somewhere that this vine likes things a little drier than normal. Can you vouch for that Indigoez? It is harder to keep plants drier that live in a container -- especially when it is raining nonstop outside!

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I've never had any overwatering problems with it, but then again, it's huge, and escaped from it's pot, although I would guess that at least some of the main root mass is still in the pot.

I water it every other day now, just like all of my other large containers. Since it and other plants have completely hidden the pot, it doesn't get much from rain unless it's a downpour.

I guess my advice would be the usual "water when it looks dry" approach, at least until it gets larger. Sorry I can't be of more help Ahelms.

Well, Indigoez, it is good to know that this vine can be a strong grower. Your "water when it looks dry" approach is really good advice. Sometimes, I water everything all at the same time whether they look wet or dry. That gets me into trouble sometimes:-)

I was just wondering how your vine is doing, Ada. Did it stop raining where you are? I hope so! I hope it survives:-) Let us know when you get a chance.

Premont, TX(Zone 9b)

does anyone know where I can buy this..or would anyone part with some cuttings.
elva

emh48, Gardino's has Quisqualis indica at: http://www.rareflora.com/

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

also http://TopTropicals.com Mine was very good sized when recieved

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Clare, my vine doesn't look good at all. I really don't think it's going to make it. It's lost all of it leaves. Only time will tell. LOL

Darn, mine lost most of its leaves too, but now it looks like it is putting out some new growth so maybe there is hope for yours. Ada, be sure not to water it at all since you have no leaves!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

After seeing the pics of this vine I am adding it to my must have list! Thanks Indigoez!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Clare,
I'm still hoping may it'll put back out but who knows..

Ada, mine is recovering and putting on new growth so maybe yours will to.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

My Rangoon Creeper was in the ground at my old house. It was planted near the faucet. I nearly lost it to being too wet. (Yellow leaves a sign). I have it in a large pot now and I watered it too much and it started getting yellow leaves, so watch that watering. :)

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Anyone ever had seedpods on their plants? A photo is below of some that are on mine. This is not the big huge plant in my previous photos, but a smaller one that I got in March.

Thumbnail by Indigoez

That's good advice, Pua. Thank you:-)

Cool, Indigoez. Mine is too small to produce pods yet, but someone sent me some once. They didn't germinate for me, but I was told that they were seeds when, in actuality, they were seed pods. Each pod has a hard exterior and contains one seed. I think you can plant the whole pod, but you need to soak the hard exterior pod first for 24 to 48 hours.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Clare. If they reach maturity I'll have to try the soaking.

Indigoez, I forgot to mention that, after you soak the pod, you can carefully peel it away and plant the seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.