propagated anabelle hydrangeas

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Could you please share your propagation method with us? I have heard that hydrangeas are terribly hard to propagate, so any special tips would be most welcome!

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

I cut 4 inch cuttings off green growth in early June, about two leaf groups worth. I striped off bottom leaves, dipped in cup of water and then into rooting hormone. I placed the cutting in sterile potting mix, which was in 4" plastic pots. I gently firmed the mix around the stem, trying not to knock the powder off stem. I put all the cuttings I made on a cardboard tray & watered. I placed taller sticks in each pot to keep the cuttings free of the plastic bag I used in the next step. I placed entire tray in a clear, large plastic garbage bag to make a mini greenhouse, with the opening caught up underneath the cardboard to retain moisture . I placed the entire set up on the east side of the house where it got very limited sunshine, perhaps two hours worth of filtered sun per day. I left them alone, except to check that it was not drying out, or being bogged down by rain water. After a week, I started to open the bag for an hour a day, every few days to give them air. I was afraid that sealing them off would create mold. Of the four cuttings I planted, three have rooted, and are no longer encased in plastic bag. I removed the bag when it was clear that some had rooted (new leaves) and the other had not (brown & withered).

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had much the same success with rooting hydrangeas last summer. However, I was moving and just left them in small (4") pots under mulch for the winter and none survived.

The year before, I had propagated some variegated hygrangea and just dug the pot into the soil up to the rim of the pot before covering with mulch in late November. That one survived.

Roseofkaren (love the name and Welcome!) it would be helpful for us to have your zone under your name on posts. You can add that information on your preferences page... at least that's where I think it is.

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Darius for zone suggestion (so much to learn)!

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, roseof karen, for the propagation info. Will give it a try.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

roseofkaren, I think if you want to have the Annabelle for next year put it in a frame. If it is less than a year old it probably won't make a cold winter. I'm in zone 8 and I have to really protect (I use mulch) and sometimes lose cuttings that I thought would make it. Jenny

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's a great place to find out info about hydrangeas. Frank has also written about propagating hydrangeas. I ordered some of the starts from him this year and they are beautiful.
http://www.nantuckethydrangea.com/

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Jenny, I'm in Atlanta and have had my Annabelle for years. I never take extra care of it. In fact, I find the best time for me to propagate is when I cut the whole thing back each February. I just stick the cuttings in the ground and they root. Most of them flower the first year. Great plants (except for the weak stems that make them do a nose dive in the heave rains when they're blooming.)

Carmen

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Carmen. I really think I have a micro climate going on here. We are always several degrees colder than places around us. Many of my hydrangeas are on the north side of my home and they are the ones that I lose if not careful (cutting started from spring till summer). I have to really protect the smaller ones. I just have the one Annabelle but have never taken a cutting of it as it is still young. Now I know I can just stick it in the ground and not worry about the pots and plastic. Great! Jenny

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

I make about 80 annabelles each season, definitly cuttings are the way to go, you don't even need the hormone......

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Ed, what a surprise! I've never seen you here at DG. How wonderful!

Carmen

Hi Carmen, yes finally got unbusy enough to check into this forum thing. Glad to see you, how are the Lemon Zest Hydrangeas doing???

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Those are the ones I asked you about after you sold the last one. I'm looking forward to getting a couple from you next year. Please hold a couple out for me.

BUT the Immortality iris that you said I needed to have (thank you, thank you, thank you) is blooming right now as we speak. It is such a wonderful plant!

Carmen

Well, I am looking forward to getting some next year as well.....lol.....Wayside has put the hammer down on those.....lol......I am still working hard to bug the right people. I have about 20 rooting right now, so we'll see. Have you seen the newest hydrangea H. Big Daddy???? WOW, there is also a yellow version that I am trying to "talk Bobby" into releasing. They are both Macrophyllas and are seedlings from his Georgia backyard. I just finally planted some Endless Summer, so I can compare them with my Penny Mac's. So many out there. Another nice one is the Little Honey, the dwarf, yellow Quercifolia..........check it out, that darn Wayside again.........lol

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't mind a Big Daddy as long as it doesn't lay down on the ground after a big thunderstorm. My major complaint with the Annabelles. Do you know the name of the Annabelle with the stronger stems? I need to get one of those.

Speaking of Quercifolia, have you seen the dwarf version right by the drive-thru line at the Chick-fil-a on Pleasant Hill? I can't find it anywhere. I might have to do a little "admire and acquire" cutting one morning soon. lol

The dwarf version is Hydrangea Quercifolia 'Pee Wee', we have them as well whenever you want one. Are you talking about the Dwarf Chic-Fil-A???? Big Daddy has strong stems and huge leaves. Come on up I have a few 3 gallons i just planted, I can show you, I have the 1 gallons anytime your ready

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Pins and Bentley I am so jealous! Just wish I had someone around here or a place to buy hydrangeas. Sounds like you both have some many great hydrangeas. Jenny

sh

you can buy them on the internet, have you not done that. I sell a few things, but there are many places that have many different hydrangeas. Reach out and GRAB ONE......lol

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought 15 of the small starts from Frank (Nantucket Hydrangeas) in early summer, but I would love to be able to visit a nursery and see something other than the standary pink or blue (such as Walmart carries). It is just not the same when you order one. Right now I don't need to get any. The little hydrangeas that I bought were doing so well but something (a skunk I think) keeps digging around them. Two weeks ago the skunk sprayed 3 of my hydrangeas and the leaves all turned crispy and died. It was a mess and still stinks on that side of the house. Makes me sick to be around there. Now I'll probably have to pot the hydrangeas and overwinter them somehow. I sprayed all around with the mole repellent but it did no good. They are dug around every night. Any suggestions anyone?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.