Just picked bleeding heart seeds, now what

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I just picked a bunch of seeds off of my mom's bleeding hearts, do these need a cold treatment? I want to package these up for trading later but I do want to make sure they are viable unless whoever wants them dosnt care if I check first, I got at least a good handful of these. Now to check the trading primer to see how to divide these up.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi Drav - I asked too and was told they are viable. I found they needed to dry longer after I picked them so I used paper env. from DG but they take a long time to make. Someone suggested Office Max has small paper envelopes and I'm going to try find them. I put about 1/8 tsp. in each env. Hope this helps.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

That helps big time kooger Thank You. I bought the little paper ones from Office depot, I didnt want to spend $10 on a huge box but they did have some open boxes and were selling them for .03 a piece, that I could do. I really want the little plastic baggies but havnt found them here yet, course havnt looked really hard either. LOL 1/8 tsp sounds like a good amount for these Ill have to get them all cleaned up and packaged and then Ill put them up in the seed exchange.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Wallyworld sells the little plastic env. and others mentioned the Dollar Store too. Isn't it fun sharing?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

The dollar store here dosnt have them that Ive seen and we dont have a Wallyworld. Maybe I should check Walmart, hhm. Kmart dosnt have them either. Ill have to check the big dollar store down the street too just to make sure.
I love the sharing, sometimes too much, LOL

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Do I need to statify these?

Bellaire, MI(Zone 5a)

I received 1000 2x3" plastic envelopes for 11.50 including postage from this website. http://www.rollertrade.com/

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

pretty good price there!

Not sure, Drav, but my guess is yes since I was told they come up by themselves if you don't pick the seed.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Bleeding heart seeds doen't stay viable for long. It would be best to trade them out now. Most likely they'll need cold stratification to germinate. They'd be a good one to winter sow...

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks guys. Still waiting on getting the plastic packs. But thinking hard about it.

Poppysue, Ill make a note of the winter sowing to the people Im giving them to, I put them up for sase in seed trading. Keeping one pack for myself, almost all gone now or at least spoken for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.