Apple tree question

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought this Fugi apple tree two years ago and it was suppose to be a two year old tree then. They told me to expect to get a couple apples the first year but pick them off so the energy would go back into the tree. Well, never got any blossoms or apple of coarse. Now I'm told that I need to have two apple trees for it to bear fruit. Is this true? My tree is healthy but no blossoms or anything.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic of my Fugi apple tree

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic of the trunk. The discoloration on the trunk was because I just watered it.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

and now the leaves up close and personal.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The Fuji is a Japanese apple rapidly gaining in popualarity in the USA. It does require a second cultivar as a pollenizer. They should began bearing in 3- 5 years But remember Murphy's Law always applies. In your case, You may not have enough chill hours to set blossoms. Although Fuji is rated to Zone 8 that may be pushing the envelope.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, the nursery guaranteed that these do well here and they do sell out fast. Would I have to use the same type of apple tree or could I get a second variety?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No cross pollination requires a different cultivar. You would need one that blooms at the same time as the Fuji. Since Fuji is essentaialy an improved Red Delicious that one might work. Another possibility is Mutsu. Both are rated for USDA zones 4 - 8. Of course yo have to have blooms before pollination matters. Blooms require a certain number of chill hours.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.