Hey Big Red Beat This :)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Whoa now!!! Watch out!!! LOL!

Can I move in with you please???

(my DH is squeamish and won't eat these! )

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

That is our entire crop from 30 plants.

Can you say OKRA!?!?!?

Never corn again.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

daisy, looks like you gotta turn under loads of cow-doo in that garden patch, corn is a heavy feeder! Or perhaps you planted it in a single row instead of a block and didn't get good polination? But don't give up, try it again next year!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

For what you can buy fresh corn for here, it is not worth the garden space to grow it. Plant beans, onions, anything else!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Swore that I wouldn't do it again, but if you think that I can do it with do-do, I think that I might have to try next year!!

It was planted it in a bed 3ft x 10 ft in rows. Just bad dirt. Not me, right?
Bad, dirt. Very bad, dirt.

I have another bed--so pretty--and not one single ear. Some of the seeds didn't make it past the city pigeons so I planted like Grandma and put in sunflowers in the holes. We aren't going to get a bit of ears from this one but I like how it looks. I see this out my dishwashing window and it makes me smile. (bet I 'd smile bigger if I had your farm!!)

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

same bed, other end

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

daisy, From your photos it doesn't look like you're getting much sun. Corn should be planted in full sun.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

That is because I just took them- the sun is setting. They get full sun all day til about 6:30pm.

Its still light here ; )

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

We had BBQ quesidillas with jalepeno/cilantro pesto, ugly corn cut off the cob and grilled shrimp.

My Dave never even noticed the ugly corn cuz it was all inside a tortilla!! Yum!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"BBQ quesidillas"?

Hmmm....reckon you better post the recipe for that! I wanna try it!

And yes, ugly corn CAN taste good!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh!! 'Shoe!! You are as bad as Terry!! LOL

You caught me- okay- tomorrow I will post my favorite BBQ quesedillas on the recipe forum.

Gotta go lick my fingers right now... : )

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Gotta go lick your fingers!!! Sheesh!!!.....still eating, eh?

I just know I got me a new bbq grill! I need a new recipe to go with it! Thass all! Thass all!!! ô¿ô

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

And they are spicy!! yummy jalapenos--

Just wait until tomorrow! You'll be loving that grill!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

daisy, to get good corn you need to move to the corn belt! LOL
We had our first on Thursday night, umm good. We bought it from our next door vendor at Farmers Market. Ours won't be ready for another week or so.
Bernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Bernie...! Behave yourself! I grow the best corn around these parts! Yummmm yummm~!!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, nice lookin corn! Didn't you pick any for your wife and daughter? ;O)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah~! I hear ya B_Red!

Man...that stuff is delish! I think we've eaten it for days now, nite after nite! Can't get enuff of it!

Next year I'm thinking of goin' back to planting an acre of it! This was a bumper year for corn here!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I know, I know........

Mental note to self: after planting tomatoes and peppers next month for winter harvest, look into buying property in the corn belt.

LOL!! I don't think that my surfer boy would appreciate that too much!

CountryGardens, you just need to send me some cow poop cause that's what Big Red says I need! ; )

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Shoe-maybe that corn belt streched a little your way!
If I ever get over your way, I'm going to stop in at mealtime for sure!
Bernie

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

We just went up to Yosemite and I had never been through Fresno- now I saw miles and miles of corn up there! And almonds, walnuts, grapes. It just took my breath away.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Bernie..as we age our belts get longer. Perhaps the same is true of the corn belt, eh? Come on~! I'll holler when supper is ready!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, we did the same thing, had corn every night for over a week! First planting is gone now but I have another four rows coming on that is about 4 feet high. Should be ready the middle or the end of August. :o)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I really wish I'd done the same thing! This was the best patch we've had here in some years. (I'm a nut though..am sitting here thinking of sowing more seed!)

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Don't get me started now, you guys. I amy have to plant some too.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooops! double post, time to turn in I guess!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2004 11:48 PM

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Daisy, get yerself some cow-doo and go for it! ;O)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I don't have space (nor enough sun) to grow corn at this temp. house. BUT one year still in Maryland, I started corn from seed, planted it 4 to a hill in my friend's garden and WE HAD FRESH CORN JULY 4th! (Unbelievable in that zone, and Silver Queen, if I remember correctly.)

Man, all these threads about fresh corn are driving me nuts with hunger!!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe...

grilled corn. steamed corn. corn w/ salsa and lime juice. creamed corn. corn puddin'. raw corn, eaten in the field. corn fritters....

Need I go on? ;>)

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Man, I loves those corn fritters! Shoe, you got a good recipe?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Nope, sorry B_Red. I just remember eating quite a few of them in my life. Closest I could come to them would be a corn "pancake" but it wouldn't equal what I used to eat.

Maybe someone else can come forth with a good recipe? I sure would luv to cook some up! Man..what a treat that would be!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, my Dad used to make them a lot when we were kids, course I didn't pay any attention then how they were made, just knew they were good!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep...mighty tasty!

We better revive this piece of history! Especially during corn season!

Maybe we should post for a recipe on Recipes Forum?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

My thoughts exactly! Going there right now!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, there's a recipe in this forum you may want to try.

http://davesgarden.com/t/169798/corn+fritters

edited to add: here's another

http://coco.essortment.com/cornfrittersre_rqnm.htm

This message was edited Jul 21, 2004 12:14 AM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay, Red...Shoe...this really tells a lot about you two. A thread on how to get kids to eat their veggies??

You are just a couple of grown young'uns who grow onions!!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Hehehe, yeah, we're both big kids! I just don't wanna grow up!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah! Kids at heart puttin' da food in our stomachs!

Thanks, Red...I think my Kandy Korn will make some goooood fritters!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had another feeding of corn for supper. OOwww-- the best!!
People are still only charging $3.50 a bakers dozen, almost cheaper to buy than raise it, no coon troubles either!
Licking butter off my chin,
Bernie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Bernie, I agree.

When folks at my mkt were still selling it for $2/doz I decided to raise my price, #3.25/doz. Still sold it all. (And that was 6 or 8 years ago. Then next year it went to $3.50.)

With my little patch, I'd rather raise it to eat ourselves and share w/friends...seems to be more value in it.

Reckon if I ever sell it again I'd have to put in a few acres, if I had that much to spare.

Sure is some good eatin' though! Yummy!!!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Country Gardens~
(and everyone)
When you consider that you know what is IN your corn, it makes it all the more worthwhile to grow. I have decided how to get in two more crops of sweet corn this year, after reading the following info. Of course, this is for Texas corn, don't know what they use in the corn belt...

http://davesgarden.com/t/445605/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.