really odd request!!...

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I know this has nothing at all to do with gardening, but here goes anyway.

I need to buy some old fashioned nappy pins for this weekend, but can't seem to find any, I suppose most peole use disposables now.

Would anyone have any ideas where I can get hold of some? I'm getting desperate now

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hurrah for nappy pins! I remember going youth hostelling one weekend many years ago. My trousers burst in an embarassing place! I kept them together again thanks to nappy pins!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

LOLOLOL Diane
Baa on her shining white horse - a familiar sight
hope you've found some sue :)

Yorkshire,

LOL, nice to know the 'old and reliable' things still exist, isn't it? I mean, how could you hold burst trousers together with sticky tape...can't bear thinking about :D

Terri1948

I was going by what the other Mum's said last week, that no-one had them, apparently they're all having diffilcuties getting supplies of them.,
I hasten to add that it's for my daughters Guides holiday thet we need them, not me!!.. LOL
Thanks for the help, off to phone the stores now.

Did you get any Sueone?

Yorkshire,

Sueone, did you manage to get the pins, if not I have some large safety pins you can have as I make beaded safety pin angels. These are very similar to the large 'nappy' pins but brass coloured.

Terri1948

Yep...managed to get some, phoned round and then sent hubby in to buy two packs, think they gave him a funny look, maybe they thought he was into dressing as a baby, following in Beckhams footsteps :-)
Thanks for the offer Terri.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

My younger son is 33, and my older 38, so I am familiar with diaper (nappy) pins. Ours used to have blue, yellow, or pink plastic duck heads on them. Disposable diapers were not in full swing then, but if you were lucky, someone would buy you a month's diaper service, and the truck would arrive, whisk them away, and leave fresh one.

I'll bet I could still fold a diaper... thickness in the front for boys, thickness in the back for girls! Who'd have thought those diaper pins would be collector's items.

All my older ones had terries(when they were babies that is ! )I had 3 babies in under 3 years, so I always had a line full of nappies blowing in the wind.
I bought terries for my last daughter 11 years ago, but after using disposible in the hospital decided to keep using them.Am still using up the terries as dusters, cloths etc.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

One of my vivid memories is hanging diapers on the clothes line in the whipping wind. I had an old wringer washer, and used lots of bleach, so washing was a hands-on operation. Smoothing the diapers to fold them was like running sandpaper across them. It gives me the 'willies'... like the feel of a wooden spoon across your lips... or the fuzz of a fresh peach.

Isn't it odd, I love the sight of a long washing line with the washing flapping in the wind.
these whirly ones don't have the same effect somehow ;-)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

When my elder son was a baby, almost 40 years ago, my mother insisted that I needed a buggy. Strollers were all the rage, but she said little babies need buggies. She bought a large buggy with rubber tires and suspension for our rough farm ground. When she babysat for me, she would put the baby in the buggy and take him out with her while she hung the wash. She'd prop him up with pillows so he could watch her hang the clothes that whipped in the wind. She'd even hang a red kerchief on the line for bright color. He'd flail his arms and coo with excitement.

Don't things like that bring back lovely memories. I can remember propping up my babies in their pram in the garden whilst I worked out there.
In fact I used to leave them outside in the pram ,with a net on, you wouldn't do that now though.
you used to leave them outside the shop too, whilst you popped in to get something. My son always used to sleep on his tummy, and I was always coming out to find someone had turned him over to his back.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

yes, you're right. Nowadays we wouldn't dare leave a baby unattended, but the world is quite a different place these days. In spite of disposable diapers, and all the other modern coveniences, in some ways, it is more difficult raising a baby these days.

I feel sorry for the kids 'cos most of them don't know the freedom of being able to roam for hours outside, we used to build dens in the parks, even when it was getting dark,
It's difficult as a parent striking a happy line between being protective, and giving them safe freedom.

This is one of many reasons behind our move to France.
My two granddaughters have come from a place where they were being monitored 100% of the time and having to stick to very strict codes, to a place where they can roam over 25 acres and explore the different wildlife and other possibilities. Heaven!

(pardon me butting in lol)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've never lived in a big city. As a child, I lived on a small farm in northern Indiana. In the summer, my mother would drop a car full of us, all adolescent girls, off at the Dunes State Park for an afternoon of swimming. There were many, many people there in the summer months, but she never worried, nor did the other mothers. We were cautioned about strangers, but just the 'strange strangers', if you know what I mean.

Nowadays, children are cautioned about everyone, and I can certainly understand why. Not all predators seem 'strange'. However, it has put a barrier between the children and adults in a community. Both adults and children are fearful of interacting with one another. I think we have lost a great deal. These days, none of us would think of touching a baby in a pram. Instead, if concerned we'd call 911 and let the authorities deal with it... how sad.

Phil, I'm so glad your granddaughters are out from under all that security and restriction. I grew up in a world where each day was an adventure. I hope they can have that experience, as well.

Yes, thanks Carol, that's what I wish for them, and it seems to be coming true :D
Lovely to hear about your experiences..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.