Moonflower seeds

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Last year, I saved my moonflower pods. When I opened them today, some seeds are creamy colored, and others dark maroon/brown but seem fully formed. Are all these viable? (I did trash the tiny and/or mis-shappen seeds.)

And, do I need to scarify or soak them before planting in the ground?
Thanks, darius

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

darius,the big tan ones are the viable ones but you might try the dark ones and see what happens as long as they look normal.My experience with ipomoea alba is that the creamy seeds sprout.

Yes you need to scarify and soak for germination.I take a tiny file and give the seeds a good slice with the edge.Then I soak overnight before planting. Hope this helps.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

are these an annual or a perennial? and what is the latine name? i received some and don't know a thing about them. thanks.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

debi_z, they are an annual, and I don't know the latin name. Sorry. I just love the fragrant flowers that only bloom in the evenings-nights.
-darius

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

ipomoea alba is the latin name

Woodbourne, NY(Zone 5a)

My experience is that the darker tan ones germinate more easily than the creamy tan ones. The darker casing certainly cracks more readily than the lighter one -- which is one of the big problems with starting moonflowers -- the case is often just too hard for them to get out of.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have never had to sacrify or file my Moonflower seeds, and they germinate readily. I have had some of the darker ones to do o.k., but the ivory or light tan one's are the best.
Larkie

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 26th 9:43 PM

Antioch, TN(Zone 6a)

I'm new to Dave's...so help me..i have a moonflower and i have no idea where the pod is...the flower drops off and i see no seed pod??Whats up? Pepsigal

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

The seedpod will form where the flower dropped off---in a few days' time you'll see a swelling, and eventually the pod will get bigger than the end of a man's thumb. It's ready to harvest once it becomes brown and dry. Most pods contain three or four seeds each.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.