Triple Roadside/Ditch lily

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Just got these yesterday, I have always seen single, and once in awhile a double, but until yesterday, never seen the triple blooms! I love them.

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Here of course, is a single.

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Dbl/Triple is lovely. Mine are all still blooming for over a month now, all colors. Have some dbl/triples, also some beautiful Stargazers.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

very pretty, Laurrie.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2004 5:52 PM

Clarkesville, GA(Zone 7a)

I dug up three triple ditch lilies from the house my son is renting. Checked with the owner first and she said okay. The place is facing total destruction from the bulldozers whenever it is sold (which we hope is a long time from now) and as soon as I hear the word I am going over there with a truck. Maybe two. The house is surrounded by seven acres all planted with daylilies, irises, tiger lilies and all kinds of other perennials.

What is a stargazer? I dug up a triple ditch lily today from there with a darker eyezone, and the pattern that was formed was like a star. Is that it?

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Stargazer lilly.

Thumbnail by Hibiscus
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/t/437596/
I will have lots of them to give away in the fall.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Can you put me on the list for giving away? I think they're really pretty!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Ohmigosh Breezy, those are amazing... and you found them in a ditch! You've got great ditches in Ohio. Please post the triple over in the new LILIES forum. How does nature do that?

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Around here we have old "strip roads" etc. This is where people like to go and "dump" their lawn clippings, old shrubs, anything they yank out of their yard, I often crusie 2 certain roads, and this is why, I have already gotten several shrubs this year as well as Iris, and now this lily.

Blooms.........I will add the triple to the Liliy forum, never would have thought about it ;)
Laurrie

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Most people don't know Ditch lilies can be a carrier of a disease that affects other lilies. Ditch lilies don't show signs of it b/c they're extremely hardy.

If you don't want to chance killing off your lilies, it's best to keep them seperate. Btw, I'd tell you the name of the disease but I just can't remember and can't find the origional post.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

How far do you think they need to be separated?

Oklahoma City, OK

Breezy, your single ditch lily is hemerocallis fulva, the doubles and tripples are hemerocallis fulva 'Kwanso'. This is the common field daylily. Be careful not to plant it near any of the hybrid daylilies. It will cross pollinate with them and they will not stay true to form.

Thumbnail by patternmaker
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd tell you but I just dunno! Growing them is seeming to get more and more complicated as the thread goes along..

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh Oh..I have Kwanso planted in the same bed as my hybrid ones.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

somebody's digging furiously right now... just read this over again and now I'm wondering about my orientals - they're about 6 ft. from the closest tiger lily. Is this going to be a problem for them?

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

'Stargazer' is a true lily, Lilium.

'Kwanso' or another double-triple daylily is Hemerocallis. These are the orange "ditch" or better "roadside" "lilies": Hemerocallis fulva 'Kwanso' or H. f. 'Flora-Plena'. This would go into the daylily forum.

There is no reason I know of to suspect the "ditch" lilies (Hemerocallis-daylily) of carrying disease, perhaps that is a problen of one of the true lilies. Daylilies are pretty much disease free, with the possible exception of the "rust" problems seen in recent years.

Daylilies are easy to grow, enjoy!

Chances are very good that the orange roadside daylilies, single or double, will NOT cross-pollinate with the hybrids. They are not very fertile, and it would take some effort to cross them.

In any case, they orange daylilies are very vigoroous and also spread by underground runners, which may give the appearance of taking over a bed of hybrids. And eventually crowd them out.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Pardancanda,

Thanks for clarifying that ............... I'm glad I read the entire post, before I ran out and dug up the ones that someone sent me.

I was warned that they spread like crazy.

The one's I got were all suppose to be doubles/triples, but some ended up being singles too. They're beauties, but I think some are destined for the "ditch".

Taylorsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Breezy, if you're making a list, I'd like some ditch lilies too! :-)
I had some when I lived in WI, but didn't bring any with me when I moved.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

sweetness, I am not sure you will get a response the last date on this thread was in 2004.
However if you would like some daylilies I would be glad to send some your way this spring. I have 20+ clumps of different ones that need dividing .

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Forgot to include photo of some.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Those are beautiful! There's an abandoned house up the road owned by the quarry and my fiance knows the owner so i hope to go dig some out, as well as some shrubs and maybe there's more under the overgrown! We'll see!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.