mockorange

Washburn, ND(Zone 4a)

Does anyone have advice on how to start mockorange. I now have them in a vase in bloom. Was hoping to root some of them. They started to wilt almost immediately after I put them in the vase. Is this a good time of year to root them? Thanks for any advice.

Since no experts have answered you yet, I'll give you my best. Take cuttings from the new shoots on your shrub that aren't going to bloom this year. About pencil thick. Clean cut below leaf nodes, leaving four to six inches with about four leaves. Try some in water with willow sticks if available and some in soiless mix-vermiculite sterile type stuff. Watering with willow water or using rooting hormone may help. Also scraping the outer layer of bark at the bottom just to injure can promote root growth. They should probably be covered but vented, so they don't get too damp and mold.
Experimenting is always fun so try varying ways to see what works best for you.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I rooted a bunch of our mock orange last year after early summer pruning. Mostly greener cuttings than Echoes describes. In nice wet soil in kmedium deep shade, without plastic or hormone, at least rooted just left alone!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

a little hijack here - Peter, been there, done that on the viruses...got hit twice this spring. Won't email back but will send globe when they're ready. Laura

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

My beloved doggies (Newfoundlands) trampled my mockorange when they were trying to make friends with a new puppy at the neighbor's house. I staked up what was left and took cuttings. I scored the bottoms of less-than-pencil thick stems, dipped in rootone, and potted in compost. Of 5 cuttings, 1 has collapsed, 2 are doing nothing, and 2 are thinking about having new leaves. I don't know how to tell if there are roots. Somehow it doesn't seem like a good idea to UNpot them to find out. Guess I'll just watch to see if they grow or die!

I think upon reflection, "pencil thick" was a ways off. You wouldn't get pencil thick on new growth of a Mock Orange. Ah well, I never claimed to know what I was talking about.

Patience, sylvi, patience.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.