Help! "Daphin" Pony Tail Palm! Second Request For Help.

Goshen, NY

The request for help was originally posted on incorrect thread:

I am a member of DG since January, 2004. This is probably the incorrect thread, but after reading the responses of members here about the differences in websites I feel that I might not be ridiculed when I ask for help with my problem. I have a wonderful young Pony Tail Palm I call "Daphin" that I adopted when a friend was starting a new life and not taking his plants from his spacious living room and home with him. I attempted to persuade, to no avail, two other friends, one the seller of his home to take the plants. I took the plants not having the least idea of what was required to keep them alive and thriving. I live in a basement apartment that has an extremely long and wide corridor. I had all of the plants delivered to me and I placed them right outside of my apartment door. There is 24 hr. lighting as well as sunlight. People come through to look at all of our plants. (When I put my plants in the hallway three years ago, two other plant lovers put their plants in the windows and on a long ledge that almost extends the whole corridor). During the three years I have had trial and error while caring for my plants:the basement during the summer is very humid and I have an over-watering tendency. "Daphin" has endured and lived as have all of my other plants. I am a nurse and when I found that I was once again losing "Daphin". I did the only thing that I knew, I actually cut off 4-5 inches of the plant neck. I brought it inside my apartment and placed it under a tall lamp (regular light bulb) and prayed the large root system and "Daphin" would grow back the pony tails. After 3-4 months four nodes or nodules appeared just a little below the cut off area. Three nodules manifested lovely long thin spiked tails (three individual areas). I kept "Daphin" in my apartment until I knew they would thrive and grow under the hall lighting. I did not have a digital camera to put a picture of "Daphin" on Dave's website. This has been and still is my goal. I knew this was a miracle and I wanted every one to experience and view the beauty of this gallant little plant. But, people are cruel. A year ago someone just walked by and took the time to snap off one of the then 3 lovely and lush growths. I cried, I was angry and helpless. Who would do this to something so lovely and defenseless? I brought my plant back into my apartment again it thrived and another nodule opened and grew lush thin spiked tails. But, another problem had been brewing, my landlord had put out a notice:any plant that could not be put in one of the many windows along the hallway would have to be removed from the hallway. After all of these years management feared there would be a fire code violation. Nothing could remain on the floor, (even though there appeared to be plenty of room for walking) plants being displayed on stands were included. I brought all of my plants inside a few months ago and my elongated kitchen has become my nursery ( there is only strong direct western sunlight from my windows). I researched and installed, I hoped, all of the proper lighting. Most of my plants are tropical and would thrive out doors in warmer climes and proper sunlight. "Daphin" has recently shown signs of too much humidity and watering. last week I put the plant out side of my window no soil, just to dry out. Then I made room right under my windowsill where I have some wild flowers and milk weed growing. I had intended to let "Daphin" remain there for the rest of the good weather planted in a small area of dirt. But, this morning Thursday, July 08, 2004 I went out to survey; the largest plume with all of the beautiful thin spiked palms had been twisted off and left near the plant. I will skip the drama and complaints, I need help. I had done research on the the Internet when the first of the three growths had been snapped off. My hope had been that the person would save the little spiked growth by replanting it. The answer I read was that the pony tail palm was propagated from seed.
Thinking about it now, I wish the woody bark had been snapped off completely with the spiked growth for possible replanting directly into a soil base. This growth is larger and more developed than the first one. There was 1/4 of an inch bark left in the plant. Hardly any bark or wood came of with the spiked growth. If the person could have he or she would have snapped off all of the growth, bark and all. Yes. The individual nodes display a strong bark at the base. I can only think to let it dry out completely and stick it back in dirt. I do not know about cultures or special cultivation. MY Question AGAIN IS, CAN THIS LARGE BEAUTIFUL THIN SPIKED PALM BE SAVED? CAN IT BE STUCK BACK IN DIRT? WILL IT LIVE BY BEING PLACED IN A SEEDLING TYPE ATMOSPHERE? OR CAN IT SOMEHOW BE SAVED BY PLACING IT IN WATER? PLEASE HELP ME IN ANY WAY YOU CAN. HELP

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 12:46 PM

This message was edited Jul 13, 2004 12:08 PM

This message was edited Jul 14, 2004 9:56 AM

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

You don't' want to stick it in water. I can't find any information on what to do about the node area, though. It should heal on its own in time. I would leave it alone - leave it in the dirt. I'm sorry someone was so thoughtless as to remove an offshoot. Some people just don't realize what they're doing.

Goshen, NY

smiln32 OKLAHOMA CITY, Thank you for your response. It is the little spiked growth, from the node area (offshoot) as you call it that I was concerned about. My desire, wish and dreams are that the offshoot develop into a true Pony Tail Palm. I'd read that pony tail palm propogation is from seeds only. I had not put the offshoot in water. After letting the root dry out, I planted it in potting soil. It remains here inside my apartment under special lighting. (As an after thought maybe I should have waited longer to plant the offshoot. But, I did not want it to die because it was not planted soon enough). What I want is a miracle. I would like to see the little spiked growth from the node area become a true Pony Tail Palm. "Daphin", the Pony Tail Palm as you have advised is in dirt. I had removed it from the small area where my wild flowers and milk weed grow. For now "Daphin" sits in a ceramic pot in potting soil out side on my windowsill. I will once again bring "Daphin" back into my apartment when the weather here in Goshen, New York becomes too cold. MIRACLES DO HAPPEN (SMILE).

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 12:13 PM

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 12:20 PM

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 12:59 PM

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 1:30 PM

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 1:44 PM

This message was edited Jul 14, 2004 9:58 AM

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Wow that makes me really mad that someone (or 2 people) would do that to your beautiful plant! No respect for you or nature.
I'd say you did the right thing. As long as there is root attatched to the offshoot it should come back to life. I have a hard time not watering my pony tail palms, as I tend to over water and they really like it dry. I hope it comes back stronger and better than ever. I can send you a small offshoot from one of my ponytails, if it doesnt make it, even though it wouldnt replace Daphin. Just let me know!

Goshen, NY

art_n_garden, thanks for your response.

(I would like to thank the first member to respond who might not see these responses):
RIVERRAT2 thank you for sending me to the proper thread or forum.

art_n_garden, I have hopes of another or other nodes or nodules being developed via "Daphin." It is the offshoot that I am concerned about at this time. Thanks for your offer. I would appreciate being sent a small offshoot. You may have received an email by now.

I seek education:would someone please put up a picture or inform me where to find one that shows the root system of the Pony Tail Palm? When I adopted "Daphin" there was a very large basket-like root structure with deep, thick, woven cords upon which the tiny pony tail palm was attached. (I know that some people replant without removing the previous recepticle). I was loathe to attempt to separate or find out if this was a true root system. But, of course, with my replanting and attempts to continuously right my wrongs this basket-like root structure eventually disappeared over the course of time. I would like to know what a healthy root system looks like. "Daphin" has very little root system if any. I know now that in the past I have incorrectly planted "Daphin" too deeply in the soil. All of the Pony Tail Palms on the web appear to be sitting on top with very little surface beneath the soil. What proportion of this little tree should be planted beneath the soil?
OH! By the way, I could not bring myself to leave "Daphin" out there on my windowsill. This plant requires my utmost protection and attention...there is another part to this story and picture...I have a dog and two cats. All cat lovers know why I have included this tid bit.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2004 12:06 PM

This message was edited Jul 13, 2004 12:41 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.