stupid question - are Irisis bulbs or not

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I obviously have NO experience with Iris. I do love them but had tried rhizomes? years ago and they all died. I thought I've read somewhere that they were referred to as 'bulbs'. I'm great with bulbs - thanks for helping with my stupid question.

I really need something for the spring/late spring garden. If you have other suggestions let me know. thanks.
K

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Most irises are rhizomatous, but there are also bulbous irises. Among the bulbous irises are Dutch, English, Spanish, Juno, and reticulata. You should be able to purchase Dutch irises at most of the "marts" in the fall.

Laurie

Port Costa, CA

Hello!
If you tried bearded iris rhizomes and they all died it may have been because you treated them like bulbs. Bulbs like to be underground. With bulbs, the stem of the new plant will rise through the dirt until it reaches the surface.
Think of rhizomes as fat roots, not bulbs. Rhizomes like to be at the surface....often 1/2 out of the dirt! The roots on the underside of the rhizome have to be in the dirt but not the rhizome itself. The plant isn't designed to rise through the dirt. If it is covered with a lot of wet dirt it can rot. If you plant rhizomes, make sure that the base of the plant is entirely above the dirt...even if a bit of the rhizome shows.
If you live in a place with snow, you can protect your rhizomes by putting mulch over them before winter....at least that's what I've heard. It doesn't snow where I live so someone more qualified can give you wintertime advice.
Bearded iris are easy if you remember 2 things....Keep the plant above the surface, and give the plants good drainage!!!
Happy Gardening,
Merlie

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you both ! Excellent, full info Merlie. That's exactly what I needed. I probably did plant them to deep. I live in SW Va so they must be winter hardy. Does someone in my area have info for burrrr weather?

Also, Merlie, or anyone else, do you have a good catalog/online source for really healthy plants since I'm going to be new at this I want to start with a healthy plant.

THANKS
Kathy

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Kathy- I ordered from Suttons Iris this year for the first time. Expect my order any day. They have a HUGE variety to choose from and were having a sale when I ordered couple of weeks ago.

http://www.suttoniris.com/

Also here's a linke to the Garden Watchdog Iris sources:

http://gardenwatchdog.com/advanced.php?category=15&submit=Search

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Kathy, if you are talking about Tall Bearded Iris, then Merlie is indeed giving great advice-- they like to be like "ducks in the water" as far as planting the rhizome with the sun on its back. I would not recommend mulch though... however, watch for "heaving" out of the soil during freezes and thaws, and gently push back in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.