"MISTY" of Chincoteague MG

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Got my first bloom! She is a beauty and stayed open all day.

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

The leaves and buds are a bit different from usual MG's, the leaves are more pointed and shaped more like thunbergia alata leaves, and the calyx is different too.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

OHHHHH, Donna I like that one, oh she is soooo pretty. I sure hope you get lots of seeds.....so glad some one else is getting some blooms now... :o)
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Dee, and I love it too and I'm thrilled that it's a perennial! I just hope it can compete with the blue dawn that shares its fence.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

definitely gorgeous!!!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

She is a beauty!!!! Enjoy it after so many things have turned out to be something they were not supposed to be!!!!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks girls!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

So pretty pink!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna how is this one doing? Has it bloomed alot and is it setting any seed? How is it doing with respect's to the weather?
This is a really pretty one and I sure want some seeds of it to if you have any to spare.....
:o)
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Dee,
well, the vine is planted with my Blue Dawn MG and I was a bit worried in the beginning because blue dawn is so dominant. Turns out this misty is a monster in her own right. She has very small leaves & she covers things, like the fence poles, wire & blue dawn vines, like kudzu. Cannot even see through it. Hmm, gonna go snap a pic so you can see what I mean. There, see the small leaves? Misty. And since I took the pics of the few blooms in the beginning, not a single bloom has come since. :~(

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

And totally off topic, but while out there taking the last pic, I thought I would share this bit of absurdity with you. Its good for a laugh if nothing else. See to the right, the plant under the house eaves? That, my dears, is a bush MG. LOLOLOL supposed to be fragrant but I figure short of climbing on the roof and smelling the flowers, I will have to take the sellers word for it. And yes there are flowers and they have very pretty lavender undersides, lol.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, that is different, wonder why it won't bloom? Maybe it needs more something.......any idea what?.....it sure is a pretty flower...

but that is how the Un-named from Belize is that Sbarr sent me....it has a ton of vines and has yet to put on a single flower.. The leaves are pretty large and more lance like than heart shaped, and it has lots of leaves and so far it is the only one that is just as green now as when it started out......Some are just strange....
:0
Thanks for the update....
Dee

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Donna...sooo pretty!! I love morning glories!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I am not gonna worry about it. Maybe it just spends it first year staking claim to space. Hopefully next year it will bloom more. Even though it is perennial, I would not be a bit surprised if it managed to be an evergreen here since the blue dawn pretty much is.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL....Donna and the beanstalk.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL, crazy, huh? ;~)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Donna, get hubby to get the ladder out and send him up with camera HAR HAR HAR, then you could see the topside of the flower too!!! You just don't even know what you could be missing there tee hee

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL.....I like that "Donna and the Beanstalk".....fee, fi, fo, fum, git dim morning glories and run, run, run........ boy that would be one mad giant........, can yall get a mental picture of that......Donna gettin back down that roof really quick........LOLOLOLLOOL
Yahoooooo (just kiddin Donna)hahaha.....I'll be laughing about this tomorrow......Donna and the Beanstalk......
;O)
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

It would HAVE to be hubby on the roof. I am banned ever since I fell off about 15 yrs ago on the 4th of July, taking the ladder down with me & leaving John & the kids stranded. The neighbor man came to the fence to see what all the noise was & said in his strong southern drawl "John, whatchu doin on the roof this time of night? You workin on the air conditioner?" HARHARHAR
Yep, just brought the young'uns up with me to see how it was done. ROFLMAO.
"Hey kids, this is the power supply, this is the compressor, and HEY! Look at that! Theres mommy laying on the lawn with the breath knocked out of her. Now pay attention, there will be a quiz on this later. " GEEZ I just crack myself up.
Hows THAT for a mental image Dee? LOLOLOL

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is a photo of some of ours that grow wild here, identical!! OMG Donna, you crack me up, just finished reading your post too funny!!!!!!!!!! here is a pic of mine, there are some that are actually a little darker!!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

If I could quite laughing at Donna........
Those are LOLO....sure pretty...LOLOL...Laurrie....

Donna you are just tooooo much.......LOL this is just tooo funnny.....I sure hope you wern't hurt to bad, and had I have been there, I couldn't have helped you either.....
:o)
Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Edited for clarity. My last ramblings were unclear.
OhioBreezy's wild MG that she has pictured does appear to be the same as my Misty. We compared pics of all parts & have reached this conclusion. So apparently Misty is a wild variety.
Hope that makes more sense. LOL

This message was edited Aug 27, 2004 6:27 PM

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

(((((((Scratching Head)))))))) Huh, who's is where, what did you say Donna................LOL....guess I'll be signing off for the weekend......yall have a good one.... :)
Dee

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Dee, LOL poor thing, we got you all confused. I have some growing wild here, that is the pic I posted above, today Donna and I compared piece by piece (or part by part) of all aspects of this one of mine (wild) and hers of the Misty, and they all checked out, all definitely matched 100 percent, so we think that Misty is a gorgeous bloom but it is also a wild flower her for me LOL OK clear as mud now LOLOLOL

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

RON_CONVOLVULACEAE emailed me & gave me some really good information. He generously allowed me to copy/paste that information here. Thanks Ron!
> > HI,
> > I just thought that I would let you know that the botanical name of
> > your 'wild'morning glory is Calystegia sepium.
> > I am very(!)familiar with this genus ans it's species right down to
> > the little dimples at the bottom of it's throat...;
> > California is the Calystegia capital of the world,as most species in
> > this genus are native to California...,not all Calystegia species spread
> > rapidly(!)from underground rhizomes,but this species does(!),so make sure
> > that you really(!)like it because once it gets established,it's
> > yours(!),forever(!)...;
> > I grow them to experiment around with,and they do have nice
> > flowers,there are even some from California with yellow(!) blooms...;
> > Hope you find the information of some referential value.
> > Have fun,
> > Ron

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

too neat!! Thanks for sharing this info.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info Donna.....I don't think my yard needs another invasive vine!....lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.