Magnolia - What kind to buy???

South Milwaukee, WI

ZONE 5
I want to plant a Magnolia Tree. I've tried to learn about the different varieties to decide what kind to get, but I have become overwhelmed and my eyes have gone buggy.

Is there a variety that will stay pretty small???? Really DON"T want a 30 foot tree someday. Not looking for shade, just a wonderful smelling spring pick me up after a long winter.

A few blocks away, someone has 2 magnolia's next to each other in their yard. They would appear to be the same variety but maybe one older than the other. The smaller one is almost perfectly rounded and really full, where as the larger one is a little leggy. Could this be a variety difference or purely age??

I really could use some in-put, as I would love a perfectly rounded smaller tree.

Can anyone help me????

THANKS MUCH

This message was edited Jul 5, 2004 11:34 PM

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

The small rounded Magnolia is probably Magnolia stellata or the Star Magnolia. M. stellata as a few cultivars available, one of which is called 'Royal Star'. They are beautiful plants.

Have you seen these two magnolias bloom? Do they have small white flowers?

Here is a picture of a star magnolia:

http://web.tiscali.it/agostinipiante/magnoliastellata.jpg

Yes, it is a challenge to choose just one or two magnolias for your yard since the number of magnolias available is overwhelming.
Mike

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

The big evergreen southern Magnolia grandifloras are probably not a good choice for zone 5 (I think most of them are marginally hardy to zone 6...)

One of the deciduous Magnolias is probably a better choice - they are smaller and most are hardier. I would suggest contacting Forestfarm for a free catalog. They have MANY cultivars listed for M. stellata and M. soulangeana, and they are pretty reliable for giving good zone ranges.

Once you've read the descriptions (no fancy pictures, just a REALLY condensed, excellent catalog), then you can Google for those that pique your interest and find some pictures to get a mental image.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Here is a link to the Magnolia Store (unfortunately, not in the USA so it would be virtually impossible to order from them).

At the top of the page, choose "the collection" and then you can choose a magnolia name from the drop-down menu to see a picture of the flower of the various plants.

http://www.magnoliastore.com/

Good luck,
Mike

South Milwaukee, WI

Treelover,
I have seen these in bloom, and they don't seem to be the star magnolia. They are pink/white large blooms, almost tulip looking. And they are more tree shaped rather bushy like your picture

Seems to be a very popular Magnolia for my area, whichever that maybe. And I love them, just don't want a huge tree in my yard and that is my concern.

Thanks for your link to the Magnolia Store, WOW did not know there were even that many Magnolia's.

Terry,
thanks for the info on ForestFarm. Will order their catalog for sure.

Wish there was a way to search by size of adult tree. Because this is my main concern.

Would love more input!!!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

YvonneL,
I would bet that the tree you are seeing is Magnolia soulangiana, also called the Saucer magnolia.

The picture below is of the flowers of a Saucer magnolia that is growing in Minneapolis, MN. This plant is of borderline hardiness here, but there are a few trees that have been here for many years (in just the perfect spot, I guess).

The color of the flowers will vary depending on the cultivar. The size and shape of the "tree" will also vary depending on the cultivar.
Mike

Do the flowers look like this?

Thumbnail by treelover3
South Milwaukee, WI

Yes!! I kinda figured it would be the Saucer Magnolia. They are all over Milwaukee WI. They can grow pretty big can't they? Like 30-40 Feet?

I'll have to get a picture of this tree I spoke of earlier and post it, maybe tomorrow after work. It is the most perfectly shaped and sized tree.

Being new to "Gardening" in general. When you say the size and shape depends on the cultivator. What exactly does that mean? Can I do something to prune the tree keeping it small??

Thanks again for your input. REALLY APPRECTIATE IT!!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi YvonneL,
A cultivar (not cultivator (c:) is a plant that is selected and named. It really doesn't have anything to do with the way the plant is grown (but it can, sort of).

Any time you see a plant name and the last part of the name is enclosed by single quotes like this: 'Plant Name' it means that the plant is a cultivar and all of the plants with that name are EXACTLY alike. There will usually be a 10-year size listed on the plant's tag and the plant will have a known growth rate and form.

Usually there was only one original plant and all of the other plants that have been propagated are either cuttings or grafts taken from the original plant. It can take 10 to 20 years, or longer, from the time a plant, with unique characteristics, is discovered, named and propagated so there are enough plants to sell in your local garden center.

You never want to prune a magnolia. Magnolias tend to produce water sprouts from the area that was pruned (especially the x soulangiana hybrids). Water sprouts are branches that grow straight up, very fast and make the tree look awful.

You will need to do your homework to find a tree just like the one you saw. The flowers will be the best way to identify the plant. See if you can take some photos next spring and then go to your local extension office or garden center to see if someone can identify the plant.

If you have a really good nursery (or know someone who knows how to graft) you can see if they will graft the plant for you and you will then have an exact copy of the original. You will need to talk to the owner of the original tree to make sure it's OK to take scion material from the original tree. (scion material is what is used when you graft; it becomes the new plant that is identical to the original plant).

I hope this helps.
Mike
(sorry this is so wordy)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Yvonne - Have you considered just going up to the door, ringing the doorbell and asking them if they know the name of the Magnolia?? LOL! Sometimes the obvious escapes us! I actually find that a neighbor asking about a flower or plant in my gardens to one of the highest compliments they can pay me as a gardener. Flattery! Brenda

South Milwaukee, WI

Mike,
I tend to always be wordy!!

But it is very educational. I appreciate your being so helpful.

Brenda,
I may go to the door to ask. But in actuality, I'm almost positive they are a "Saucer Magnolia" and I don't think that is actually what I want, only because of how big they get. Their small, young tree is perfect for right now , but it's not done growing yet - I'm pretty sure.

Really looking for a tree that would maybe max at a height of 15' and produce LARGE, BEAUTIFUL, FRAGRANT blooms in the spring. Not reaaly interested in a bush/shrub variety. Want a cut little tree :-)

Still on the look out, WELCOMING SUGGESTIONS!

THANX EVERYONE,
Yvonne

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Yvonnel, I live in zone 5, have grown several varieties of magnolias. One of my favorites is Magnolia Jane. I bought it from Forest Farm, several years ago. It is about 9 or so feet tall now, predicted 15 feet. One of the reasons I really like M. Jane is that it blooms late enough usually to avoid being frosted, which is what happens to M. Solangeana (not correct sp. and neither FF or Greer Gardens list one under that name at this time, I think perhaps renamed) . Also Jane reblooms sporadically all year. I do think you will have a problem finding a tree type Magnolia, most are shrubby type. Good luck with your search. Donna

Geneseo, NY

Hi Yvonne!
I checked the reference list in my copy of "Magnolias" by Jim Gardiner and unfortunately all the magnolias recommended for fragrance are of the evergreen variety. These will not give you as glorious a spring display anyway. Of them, only M. grandiflora "Edith Bogue" is reportedly hardy to minus 24F.
Of the trees listed as having a rounded habit, cold hardy varieties include M xloebneri "Leonard Messel" and "Merrill" and M. stellata "Centennial", "Jane Platt", and "Royal Star". These all have the star- shaped flowers rather than the cup and saucer or goblet-shaped flowers.
All the soulangeanas are listed as having a broad/rounded habit. They are cold hardy but their flowers may be frosted some years. Recommended varieties include "Alexandrina", "Rustica Rubra","Lennei" and "Lennei Alba". According to Gardiner (president of the Magnolia Society) "their shape and size can be controlled by pruning which is either done immediately after flowering or during late summer." (But do you really need to worry about their ultimate height in your lifetime? Just a thought.)
The Devos/Kosar hybrids or 8 Little Girls are zone 5 hardy and flowers miss most frosts. They reach a height of 15 feet. They are, in order of flowering: "Ann", "Betty", Judy", "Randy", "Ricki", "Susan", "Jane", and "Pinkie". Susan and Pinkie are listed as having a round/broad habit. Greer Gardens carried both.
Also popular in the north are the new yellow hybrids because they also miss many frosts. I have "Gold Crown", "Coral Lake" and "Sunray" but its too soon to tell you how they will do. "Butterflies" is very popular with a 10 year height of 15 feet and an ultimate height of 30 feet. (It has star shaped flowers) Nurseries that carry a wide selection of magnolias are: Greer Gardens, Wayside, Klehm's Song Sparrow, McCrackens, Fairweather, ForestFarm, Gossler Farm, and Louisiana Nursery. Hope this helps!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

My friend and I both bought Magnolia Jane this year at Home Depot in 2 gallon pots for $20. Both trees are doing great and had many nice blooms, with a light but detectable scent. The tag said they will get to be 20 feet tall. First year, but I would certainly recommend it so far!

South Milwaukee, WI

WOW!

Thank you everyone for the replies especially "andrealynne" for your research. Lots to think about.

I went to take a picture of the Magnolia that, in my opinion, is the perfect size and shape tree. I guess it maybe isn't really a tree, is this considered "evergreen" variety?

"Treelover" mentioned that you would never want to prune a Magnolia because it will produce water sprouts from the area that was pruned. I didn't really understand until speaking with my new neighbor about trimming our hedges we share. She explained that we aren't getting new growth to fill in from the bottom because the hedges have always been trimmed just at the top, which is where all the new growth comes from making the hedges look thin. I think this is what "Treelover" was talking about. But now "andrealynne", you say you CAN prune a Magnolia. Would love to know how successful people are in doing this with the shape of their Magnolia. Does it begin to look wierd because of new shoots coming up where pruned?

This message was edited Jul 24, 2004 5:32 PM

This message was edited Jul 24, 2004 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by YvonneL
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Yvonne,
You should be able to do a http://www.google.com search for the term "water sprouts" for info and pictures. Not all magnolias produce this type of growth, it's mainly the Magnolia x soulangiana hybrids.

From that picture, I would bet that plant is a star magnolia (Magnolia stellata) (judging from the leaves that are visible at the top). It could also, possibly, be a 'Merrill' magnolia, but I would bet it's a star magnolia. I would be willing to bet that that plant is not pruned at all. That's its natural shape.

Can you get a closer shot of the leaves? A picture of the flowers next spring would be a way to ID the plant for sure.

I have friends that have a star magnolia planted in their yard and it has that form, too. Their plant is not nearly that big though.
Mike

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of my friends star magnolia near the end of its bloom period. This is this plants natural shape. I would guess that the plant in your picture is this same plant, but just an older specimen.
Mike

Thumbnail by treelover3
South Milwaukee, WI

I wish I had a picture of the blooms. But they are not a star Magnolia. They bloom flowers just like the picture you put up on 7/6/04, the white and pink tulip looking flowers.

Here is a little closer picture of the leaves.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Thumbnail by YvonneL
Byhalia, MS(Zone 8a)

Yvonne - If you like the trees on your street and have a good relationship with your neighbor, Magnolias respond well to air layering. Why not just clone the trees you know will grow in your area? This is the right time of year to do it with plenty of still semi-softwood growth on those trees. Besides - in 3-4 weeks - viola - instant new tree(s).

Just a suggestion.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Yvonne.......
I have a magnolia Jane in my zone 5 garden. I keep it pruned..because of it's location to the house. I have been keeping it at about 8-10 ft tall..with no problem. Always prune right after it blooms. It works great for me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.