Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Magnolia - What kind to buy???, 1 by YvonneL

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright YvonneL

In reply to: Magnolia - What kind to buy???

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Magnolia - What kind to buy???
YvonneL wrote:
WOW!

Thank you everyone for the replies especially "andrealynne" for your research. Lots to think about.

I went to take a picture of the Magnolia that, in my opinion, is the perfect size and shape tree. I guess it maybe isn't really a tree, is this considered "evergreen" variety?

"Treelover" mentioned that you would never want to prune a Magnolia because it will produce water sprouts from the area that was pruned. I didn't really understand until speaking with my new neighbor about trimming our hedges we share. She explained that we aren't getting new growth to fill in from the bottom because the hedges have always been trimmed just at the top, which is where all the new growth comes from making the hedges look thin. I think this is what "Treelover" was talking about. But now "andrealynne", you say you CAN prune a Magnolia. Would love to know how successful people are in doing this with the shape of their Magnolia. Does it begin to look wierd because of new shoots coming up where pruned?

This message was edited Jul 24, 2004 5:32 PM

This message was edited Jul 24, 2004 5:33 PM