Lollypop or Lollipop

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

This one has been very faithful to me.

Thumbnail by Shelly221
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by Shelly221
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Love it! Would you consider a trade for daylilies or iris roots? Your Lollypop is GORGEOUS!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh sure Wanda would love to! I love daylilies! I have quite a few tempt me! lol wont take much believe me :o)

This message was edited Jul 5, 2004 9:18 PM

Shelly-you got mail!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is a favorite of mine too. Really multiplies rapidly.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Wishing mine would bloom. :-( My lilies just aren't doing very well this year at all.

I should have watered more I think.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Melissa - just be careful that your lilies don't get waterlogged. They don't like to sit in the wet. Most lily sites/resources say raised beds are EXCELLENT environments for lilies. Also, if you just planted bulbs this year they may be sulking a bit but should come on strong next year.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I've got several that didn't bloom at all this year, I think the shade must have gotten too deep. :-(

My Orientals look like dwarfs. I don't think they like my yard. Or at least the ones that haven't rotted yet from all the rain.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lilium are persnicketty about water. as brenda said they do not like to get too much water, they will rot. raised beds are good, when you have clay soil, but you even need to be careful then, because lilies don't like there soil too warm, this will also lead to rot. my suggestion for anyone with clay soil, is to do research about soil and liliums before planting.

melissa, are you having an unseasonably cool year? i just looked at some picks and last year we had a really cold, long, rainy spring (we didn't warm up until july 1st) and my asiatics didn't bloom until the first week of july and they are always blooming in june. also, if your lilies are in dappled light, that may delay them, but i have a lot of lilies in dappled light, they get the sun in the spring, until may when the leaves are in bloom and then dappled after that and they are thriving. this pic is of my l.a. hybrids from my co-op 2003 and some asiatics, i took this picture on july 3rd and the l.a. asiatics have been in bloom for 2 weeks by then.

what lilies are you having problems with? all types? one area of your garden/yard or?

Thumbnail by debi_z
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

here is a picture of oriental liliums that are in the same woodlands garden beds, along the back of my yard. they are doing great. i'm curious about them, because last year i planted them in late spring because of when the co-op was. i planted mixed here and also in a full sun area, to see the difference when they blossomed and there production of bulbettes etc....
i love this new forum for us lilium lovers. debi z and franklin, of course. :-D

Thumbnail by debi_z
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Debi - you are right. Lilies will bloom in dappled shade. Usually not as prolifically and they will usually do the "I need more sun" lean! LOL! I have some (Asiatics) in deep shade (by the time they come up it's deep shade) and they run nearly horizontal to the ground trying to get that sun, but they grow! Shade will also affect the outcome of color - sometimes darker in color and sometimes lighter - depends upon the coloring IMHO.

I've noticed that my Asians in shade are shorter with less blooms and the foliage is a lighter shade of green that the same variety in full sun. They still bloom!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

yep they surely do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.