Lilies: Lollypop or Lollipop, 1 by debi_z

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright debi_z

In reply to: Lollypop or Lollipop

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Lollypop or Lollipop
debi_z wrote:
lilium are persnicketty about water. as brenda said they do not like to get too much water, they will rot. raised beds are good, when you have clay soil, but you even need to be careful then, because lilies don't like there soil too warm, this will also lead to rot. my suggestion for anyone with clay soil, is to do research about soil and liliums before planting.

melissa, are you having an unseasonably cool year? i just looked at some picks and last year we had a really cold, long, rainy spring (we didn't warm up until july 1st) and my asiatics didn't bloom until the first week of july and they are always blooming in june. also, if your lilies are in dappled light, that may delay them, but i have a lot of lilies in dappled light, they get the sun in the spring, until may when the leaves are in bloom and then dappled after that and they are thriving. this pic is of my l.a. hybrids from my co-op 2003 and some asiatics, i took this picture on july 3rd and the l.a. asiatics have been in bloom for 2 weeks by then.

what lilies are you having problems with? all types? one area of your garden/yard or?