Iris trades from UK?

Yorkshire,

I live in England and grow lots of irises. I would love to trade rhizomes of some of my named varieties (and some unnamed ones if anyone is interested) but have no idea if I'm ok to do so outside UK to other European countries. If anyone in UK should be interested in exchanging rhizomes I'd love to hear from you.

Terri1948

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hallo Terri1948,
I would like to exchange unnamed Rhizomes with a Friend in Germany so if You should find out something please let me know and I will do the same.
There is a Possibility that England and Germany perhaps have the same Laws ?
Have a wonderful Weekend,
Brigitte

Technically it's a no-no (with the exception of countries within the EU), people still do it .

DEFRA has some info on their website about what you can and can't send in and out of the country according to UK laws but doesn't include other countries laws. For example, beetroot and Sorbus species in any form sent beyond our blessed isle will land you in very hot water with DEFRA. Your Iris are probably fine to send BUT other countries (should they discover them) can and do confiscate them. I've forgotten how many seeds I've sent only to have a little yellow slip returned to say they have been destroyed at the borders. http://www.defra.gov.uk/

If you are sending to the USA, you need to check out APHIS's site where they will tell you no, you can't send anything :). http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ It's OK for EU countries to send to other EU countries as long as the plants and seeds aren't on their prohibited list.

Whatever country you deal with you need to find their Department of Ag and try to find the plant health regulations. Then choose whther you want to risk it

This message was edited Jul 3, 2004 8:19 AM

Yorkshire,

Thank you both for your replies. I have bought irises from France before, but never from anywhere else outside the UK.
I would have thought that if they can be imported from France perhaps the same rules apply to Germany. This is a picture of just some of my irises in bloom this year.

Terri1948

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Within the EU yes the same rules apply.

Beautiful Iris :)

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Terri, beautiful iris.

Were they from Cayeux? I almost ordered some from them last week, I was bored, cold fed-up so trawling the internet.

Put loads in my shopping basket, then realised that I didn't have anywhere suitable to plant them ...yet!!...

Seeing those though I might just go back to re-order them again.

When I went to East Lambrook manor they had a beautiful I ris there, forgot to get the ame of it, a dusky mauvy/lilac colour, beautiful.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I am from pakistan ,interested in trade rhizomes ,I have dahlia for exchange.

Yorkshire,

Hi Sueone, some of my irises did come from Cayeux, yes, but most of them I've been growing for several years now and had them long before I ever heard of cayeux. I'm intrigued about the iris you saw at East Lambrook manor (don't suppose you stopped and took a pic, did you?)

Hi Gumlla, I'm not really 'into' dahlias because I don't have room to grow them because my irises take up all the room in my garden. Although I'm very new to trading plants I don't think I could send rhizomes to Pakistan without DEFRA or customs intervening (all to do with passing on pests and diseases in plants which could have serious consequences.) I'm not sure about trading seeds though (does anyone know?)

Terri1948

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

You can send rhizomes to pakistan, government of pakistan has no restriction on any mail from UK to pakistan, Mirpur ,my city 80% of population of this city is in UK , here in every home atleast one person should be in UK .My three brothers and one sister already in UK.So you can send rhizomes of iris to pakistan .

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I did take photos, but someone errased them before I had chance to download them.
My sister took some, I'll ask her.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.