Another big mess...............

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

.............of Yellow Crookneck summer squash.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Beautiful!!! They look perfect. Nice goin!!!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks! We had some for supper and froze the rest, about 6 quarts. First time we've tried it frozen but we have so much and I hate to see it go to waste.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I think I might have to try those next year. looks like you had a great crop. Maybe you can use some in baking. And then, there's always the neighborhood, foodbanks, etc. I know a crop like that can be overwhelming, you hate to trow any away. I have that with my plums and figs, I just go around to anyone who will take some. Enjoy.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

hanna1, it's getting so my neighbors and family hate to see me coming! And the faster you pick them, the faster they grow. I read on one of these threads that Yellow Crookneck wasn't too good of a producer, if that's the case I'm glad I didn't plant hybrids!

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm LOL LOL,

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Picked more again today, we have frozen all we're going to need. I guess I should pull the plants but I can't bring myself to do it!

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great harvest!

Did you have to spray for bugs or anything? I think your manure fed your plants so well it must've helped them deal with any pests!

Good going!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shoe!

No bugs on any of my plants except potatoes (potato bugs)and beans (Japanese beetles). Oh yes, and cabbage worms on my broccoli and cabbage.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a good crop going in your garden!

Hard to fight them Jap Beetles, hope there was only a small outbreak of them. Tater bugs can be halted with rye flour when they're in their soft stage (larva). Cabbage worms hate Bt!

I do much better with brocolli and cabbage for a Fall planting...bet you'll love that too! No bugs, good growth, and sweeter flavor. Wonder when ya'll start thinking of settin' out Fall crops (broc, cabbage, collards, turnips, kale, rape, leeks, etc). I luvs my Fall/Winter garden!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Already planning on brocolli, cabbage and cauliflower for this fall. :o) Almost time to start the seed, isn't it?

This message was edited Jul 7, 2004 11:23 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.