Hamelia Patens (Mexican Firecracker) Propagation

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

I live in DC (Zone 7 a or b?) and have carried my 3 foot tree in before frost, out in spring. It suffers, but makes it through the winter to develope new little branches and flowers. I have not been able to see any seeds dropping and/or developing.

There is one new shoot at about an inch from the bottom on this skinny tree trunk, and I would like to cut it and try to root it. I have never rooted anything that didn't just root by itself in an opaque container and water (Geraniums and Impatients)

I do NOT want to lose this branch by doing it incorrectly. Any suggestions?

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Is daisyavenue post on salvia cuttings

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Its here:

http://davesgarden.com/t/440691/

; )

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

daisyavenue: are you suggesting that I try to root this WOODY Hamelia Patens the same way you do your salvia cuttings?

The whole branch is a leave-less stick about 12 inches long; it started branching about the last two inches on the tip. Should I cut only the tip then, with the little branches. Maybe the rest that stays attached to the trunk will rebranch and I can try again. Rather than cutting the whole branch at the trunk.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

No, knees. I wasn't suggestiong it- gapeahen did and I was just pointing you to the post. ; )

And no, I don't think that this would work for a woody cutting. But it sounds like you are on the righ track by taking off the top of the branch instead of the entire branch.

Good Luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.