Rooting Hormone Danger?

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

I've just started using rooting hormone for various cuttings and I'm wondering whether I should really be using "a face mask and rubber gloves at all times". I haven't bothered to use either so far, and have only made sure that I've washed my hands really well afterwards. The warning said that it could cause skin irritation, but is there anything else I should be concerned about for longterm use or exposure? I guess if I start growing a beard I'll know why! Any opinions?

Claire

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

My puppy ingested about a teaspoon or two of it about 4 months ago...and she never showed any signs that it bothered her. :) haha so maybe it's not that bad...but I think you should wait for someone that really knows

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't have any problems with using the powdered kind,
wouldn't inhale it intentionally or rub it in your eyes.
I'd make sure a little one doesn't eat it ...ya know just standard precautions.

These days they have to warn you about everything or someone will sue them...

There are too many of us that use it everyday for it to be too bad or we would all be warning each other, so this is a good place to check stuff out anyway.

Thanks...I was wondering if it was really as scary as they made it sound.

Claire

You're very welcomed :)
If you have a problem with breathing the dust of the powder I saw on a thread where they have a gel based hormone...that might be a good solution too.

Gloves are a good idea beacuse you might have tiny cuts on your hands you hadn't discovered. Rooting hormone can cause irritation of the skin eyes, mucus membranes (hence face mask) and give you a nasty stomach upset if ingested.

I know I always say gloves are a great thing and some people don't like to wear them, but they do help protect your health even if you still have to wash your hands thoroughly after working with them on.

Thanks Baa, I didn't think about tiny cuts, and I still wonder if a bit absorbed into the skin could cause a slight hormonal imbalance. I have a friend that was using a progesterone cream on her skin and it really messed up her hormone levels. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Claire

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The stuff makes my skin burn slightly...ceratinly wouldn't wish it in my eyes or lungs.
I have a feeling it's like almost everything in this world...it effects everyone differently if at all.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Rooting hormone in itself is not really dangerous, but if you have purchased the product Rootone F™, then you need to be careful and use caution when handling the product (powder).

Rootone F™ contains Thiram which is a fungicide and Thiram is toxic. You need to be careful so you do not come in contact with (or breathe in) any rooting hormone that contains a fungicide.

Always read the label carefully before using any rooting hormone. The label will tell you if there is a fungicide in the product.
Mike

Thanks Mike...it does make a differerence which ones you use.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.