wild blackberries

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm off to pick wild blackberries this morning. It's my favorite time of the year. They are just beginning to ripen here although the wild raspberries have been ripening for a week or two. I just about eat as many right off the vine as I bring into the house.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Are the berries you are going to pick big or small. They come both ways here very tiny like a pencil eraser sweet and tasting great. This one is scarce and kept secret by most people who find them. These grow low to the ground they sell at times for $ 32 to 50 a gallon. Huge watery and sour they grow every where and can be ten or so feet high with huge thorns not very good to eat at all Ernie

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

The blackberries here are what I would call large. About 3/4 the size of my thumb. A tangy sweet. The domestic berries grown around here just can't compare with this flavor. The vine growth and ripening time depend on where the vine is. If it's more in the shade it seems the vine grows taller and for me harder to pick. Also , since they are in the shade they don't ripen as soon as the others.

Ernie, I would guess that those little sweet ones the size of a pencil eraser would take a long time to pick.

I picked a gallon this morning. I need to get some work done around here and then will go back to pick again this evening.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

The berries Ernie mentioned are the ones we call 'wild blackberries' and usually grow in logged off areas after a year or two. They are a b---- to pick, but well worth it IF you can find them.The others we have in abundance are called Himalayan and Evergreen. They are a pest, though edible,with big seeds and about the size of a thumbnail.Left unchecked they will cover a hillside ,car,house elephant, or anything else that doesn't move. Well maybe not an elephant. I can't think of a pie or jam better than those made from the little wild ones.Truly a treasure.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I love wild blackberries!

I make a blackberry savory (use like you use cranberry sauce, with pork, chicken, turkey, duck, etc.). Making it with tame blackberries just doesn't cut it, LOL.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Recipe Darius?

Yeah, I'll mail it to you, LOL.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I would love that recipe as well.
Anyone else picking any berries now?

We may have wild blackberries by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to picking a gallon or two.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Our 'wild' blackberries are getting ripe now. Don't know if these are the same or similar to what have been mentioned, They are OK for jellies and such, but the big seeds are a pain.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

These are the pesky ones Eweed mentioned, and this is a very small stand of them.

Thumbnail by balvenie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.