Salvia cuttings

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I had some sweet folk here http://davesgarden.com/t/440092/
ask me to post how I do my salvia cuttings and if I don't teach them, I am going to have to do them all myself and I will never see my other plants! ; )

I taught myself this, mind you and they are as easy as coleus to me and there is nothing new here I am sure. But they asked so I am showing. These cuttings are red salvia for gapeahen.

Step 1:

(note the little safety scissors- they are always in my pocket so if I see something at a friends I snip. After I ask, of course)

Cut new growth where there are 2 sets of leaves, cutting below the lower set.

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Step 2:

Strip off the lower set of leaves. I try not to 'strip' really because it will tear down the sides so I sort of severely pluck off the lower set. Then roll them in rooting hormone making certain that the place where the lower set of leaves were is covered with the powder. Powder above there and below is good too because it will continue to feed the rooting.

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Step 3:

Actually I prefer those pop-up Jiffy pots because when success happens you can see the roots but I also use plain old peat pots when I am out of Jiffy Pots or I cannot find them (that being the case in these photos)

When using peat pots, I moisten slightly a mixture of half sand and half peat. Sand can be replaced by vermiculite.

I moisten the peat pots and put in the sand/peat and make a whole for the cutting. When I put the cutting in, I try not to wipe it on the soil, rather pack it around so that the rooting hormone doesn't scrape away.

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Step 4:

I have Eastern facing windows in my back room. It is very cloudy until around noon for me this time of year so I just leave the cuttings in a pan (usually an old cookie sheet) but in a few weeks I will let the roman blinds down before I go to bed because the sun will cook them in the mornings.

The pan is kept with 1/2 inch of water at all times. I also like Jiffy pots better than peat pots because they do not dry out so severely if you are paying attention.

In 3-4 weeks (usually 3 for me) I have roots and healthy plants. They might look droopy at times but are generally perky. If they stay green but stay droopy too then you have a pot of cut foliage going nowhere. Abutilons are famous for this and they are the hardest thing for me to root (and my favorite plant so go figure)

Before I send a cutting for trade I always break into the pot to check for roots. You don't want to send someone your 3 week old foliage arrangement. Jiffy pots make it much easier to check because you will see roots.

You can cover them in plastic if your nights are chilly but let them breathe outside of plastic for at least 30 minutes each day. (on the right of this photo you see a merinque container of peppers under a lid but they will not go outside until August and are usually on heat.

Also- I try to always mark my cuttings with the plant, date and who it is going to. In my crazy lab things get lost and forgotten!

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

After these are set and ready to go I will update the thread with how I ship them.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks Daisy. I'm going to give it a try.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey I recognize that black plastic thing! That's a roasted chicken tray! Now we know...you are too busy making cuttings to cook!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Not chicken this time- prolly sushi!

No- actually it is on of those little kits from the garen store that fits jiffy pots and has a lid but I had last crop of pepper seeds on my gas stove and I melted the top! See I do cook!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Michelle,
Thanks for posting, I'll try it your way we'll send what happen!
Been using the tent in the pass,,,
I'll send you a few thing next week!

Donna

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

No worries- good luck!!!

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

I found your Salvia rooting tip under my Hamelia Patens question. I left you another question there. :>))

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Those bottom sets of leaves are very important in this process. The nodes where you remove those leaves will become the roots.

If is is too woody or there are not leaves at the top and some below to remove, try another part of the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.