Bunch of beets.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Picked these today, 58 days from planting.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

........and turned them into these. These are Detroit Dark Red beets.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Big_Red, great looking bowl of beets and 12 quarts of canned beets. Are they pickled or regular canned beets, either way Good Job. I have been eating beet leaves but haven't checked for size, guess i should do that. Donna

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

rutholive,

These are pint jars, they do look like quarts, don't they? Just regular beets, only pulled up about 1/4 of what I've got planted. Pickled beets are next, maybe tomorrow?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Red, your beets look tasty!

I make a wonderful dish with fresh beets.

Wash and peel some beets, and then shred them on a grater. Put some olive oil and a little butter in a skillet, and sauté some chopped onions, a cup or more depending on how many beets. I usually use about 1 cup of onions to 2 cups shredded beets.

When the onions are almost soft, add the shredded beets, and 1 cup or more of fresh squeezed orange juice. I usually add the pulp from the oranges, too. Actually, when I make ths dish for 3 people I end up using 2 whole ornges, pulp and juice.

Sauté (under a lid) just until the beets are tender.

Delish!

Edited to say it's a great dish for people who say they don't like beets!

This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 6:06 PM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Darius- We used your great recipe last week and I doubled it and since there are only three of us, there was *some* leftovers so I expanded your recipe -hope that you don't mind ; )

To the leftovers I added sea salt, fresh ground pepper, fig balsamic vinegar and crumbled feta cheese. It was and amazing salad the next day. Creamy smooth and fruity!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Daisy... Thanks for the response. I never know how others like my recipes otherwise! The addition of feta for a salad sounds wonderful.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

darius, I'll have to give that a try, my wife is one of those who doesn't like beets. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.