Odd eggs on my beans!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I found these eggs on my bush beans... are they beneficial or taboo? They are small, tan cylindrical shaped... also on underside of leaves.

Thumbnail by JRush
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Another picture

Thumbnail by JRush
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

No one has any clue? I am cautiously waiting for them to hatch - & praying they are not beetles that will eat them!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I wish I could help you but have not clue. Hope they are something you would like in your garden. Donna

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

take the leaf off and put it in a jar in the shade. Then if they are good let em go. Personally they are not benificial wasps, they are not mantisis, and they are not ladybugs they are not spiders, I cannot see them being good.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

They look very much like butterfly or moth eggs to me.....could be beneficial, could be a nightmare.
If it were me I'd leave them and let nature take its course.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Here is a pic I found on Google that looks similar to your eggs.

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Second shot....closeup

Thumbnail by RikerBear

Nature taking its course means that the butterfly or moth that laid its caterpillar eggs on a lucious food source will continue its life cycle by eating your garden... Sound good to you?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes actually it does......those caterpillers and bugs are a food source for many other 'critters' (birds, other bugs etc).....without the cycle of life ALL life dies.
Afew leaves on my plants is a very small price to pay to remain in balance with nature.
But thanks for asking..............................

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Rikerbear - the eggs are not the same, but I have seen those before too. I am leaving them there to see the results... ever the optomist that I am! My curiosity is piqued on this one... Perhaps I can photograph the babies when they hatch... if I catch them.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I could tell they weren't exact, but the cluster pattern is very similar. That lead me to believe they are some sort of butterfly or moth.
Keep the 'thread' posted.....I'm curious too :-)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Still waiting...

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Cool.....I found some monarch eggs (I assume as they are on one of my milkweed plants)....can't wait to see them hatch and grow.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I should be so lucky!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Plant milkweed and you will be :-)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Well - they're here, and they're HUNGRY! Look like beetle larvae to me... We have lots of the striped beetles the last few years. I am going to wait a couple days to give the birds a chance to eat them. I have my first harvest of these beans today, so I will take care of these hungry worms if they eat too much. It has been fun to watch them, though! ( I STILL don't know what they are!)

Thumbnail by JRush

My folks have a organic orchard/farm in Penticton BC and this is too "natural" for them. They and I believe in not messing with the good stuff but I am not one to wait and see. Perhapse this is due to the Orchard being our livelyhood. They take the eggs to the extension(its equilavent there) as do I here... And get them looked at. If they are a problem some good organic pesticide works great, Rotenone... Or in my veggies case some carefully applied non-organic pesticide does the trick. I am not one to spray the entire garden down with Sevin twice a week but I am growing the garden for me, They can eat all the pasture weeds they want.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.