Epsom Salt for Cuttings?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

MsCritterKeeper posted some great information about the use of Epsom salt with regard to African Violets. Two questions .....
1. Can/Should Epsom salt be used for other tropical houseplants?

2. Can/Should Epsom salt be used for propagation by cuttings?

This is also posted on the house plants forum....

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I do use Epsom salt for tomato plants-it is supposed to prevent blossom end rot. Last year I also used it on my brugs. I don't know about using it for cuttings.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

In what dilution do you use it? foliage spray or water in soil? Interesting...What does it do for brugs, if you say keep spider mites away- I'm all over it!

(by the way Michele I got some sprouts of carmencita and they're looking great, thank you!! )

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's some info from the box of Epson Salt that might be helpful...

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper

more....

last one...

I use epson salt mixed in with cow manure tea.
I have found it cheap and very useful. I have used just regular Epson salt that you buy for about a $1 a box.
I haven't seen any difference between the two brands, except the price.lol

I don't know about the spider mites but I don't seem to have trouble with them so far. The slugs & snails don't seem to like it much so that's a plus...

I also recently added a drop or two of SuperThrive to this mix and have seen great results with my African Violets babies and a few of my brug plants, too.

Thanks MsC.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Wow, how interesting. Thank you so much. I have the cheap Epsom Salt that I put in bath water to help relax muscles. I had no idea it could be a cheap fertilizer! I'm gonna try it out tomorrow. Thanks!

You are very welcomed...I always save a little for the bath too.lol

Be careful if you get it on the foliage dry...it will burn the leaves. I ususally throw a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of DRY Epson salt & 1/2 cup composted cow manure around the base of all the larger plants( roses, brugs, hibiscus)...then I go around and water it all in ... the only things not to use it on Dry is Impatience plants, but they don't mind it mixed in water.
Saves a little time in my large yard but then I am not real pickey gardener either.lol

It's not a "perfect fertilizer" but I have had great luck with it.
I alternate with the typical Miracle Grow and Peters when the budget allows.

Not everyones soil conditions are the same but it seems to work for a lot of folks...

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm afraid to ask....cow manure tea?

MsCritter--thanks for the all of the info!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am so sorry! I forgot about this one! I use a few tablespoons in one of those miracle grow bottles you put on the hose.

Your welcomed...I'll send you a little info that might help.

Edited : I can't type today.lol :)

This message was edited Jun 30, 2004 2:53 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.