more I.D's please

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi there, these are some of the geraniums that I grew from a mixed seed lot lsat year. A few more are flowering this year, I've managed to identify some of them, but struggling with a few, so help would be much appreciated.

Thumbnail by sueone

here's another

Thumbnail by sueone

And another

Thumbnail by sueone

there's more...

Thumbnail by sueone

this is the last, for naow anyway, I've managed to identify some (the easier ones of course)

Thumbnail by sueone
Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi Sue I am back at Daves after 8 months of being really quite ill. Did you get any ids for your geraniums?

hi Psilo, welcome back, great to see you again. i thought that you just decided not to visit any more.
I'm really sorry that you've been ill, I truely hope that you're on the road to recovery now.
No, I'm afraid no one identified any of them, shows you how much you've been missed.

Hi Sue , yes I really think that I have turned a cornor now. I have gotten back onto my allotments and today I start a new job so things are looking good for the future.

Ok then here are your ids:
photo 1 - Geranium Psilostemon
photo 2 - Geranium Pratense hybrid. Pratense will cross readily. This doesnt really look like any of the named varieities so could have come from any other the paler types like rose queen. It is not album however as the flower has some pale pink veining.
photo 3 - Geranium Pratense Mrs Kendall Clarke. This comes moderatly true from seed but flower form can vary.
photo 4 - Not so sure about this one.The flower looks like a Pyrenaicum but the foliage isnt right. Is the foliage in the photo that of the plant? Do you have any other photos of this one?
photo 5 - Geranium Eriostemon.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, sueone--Your pics are much appreciated and very pretty. I am wondering how easily you were able to get these g.'s started? Did you start them in the spring in pots or do winter sowing, perhaps? I am not so good at seed starting, but thought it might be fun to try for some g.'s if you thought they were easy! (I know Psilo thinks they are fairly easy, but she's an expert!) Thanks. t.

I'm no expert in he least, and I foung them fairly easy to germinate.

I've just pricked out a tray of G. Purple haze seedlings. Not the best time to do it I know, but here we're fairly sheltered (nothing like tempting fate! ) so a lot of my stuff which is supposed to tender perrenials and the like can often keep growing over our mild weather.

Some I sowed in Autumn, some in spring, in fact I do sow most year round, but that's just me being either impatient, or late!! However it seems to work for me, but I'll say again, I put that down to being lucky with mild winters here on the coast.

I'd follow Psilos advice, she certainly knows what she's doing, you've only got to see her site to see that.

yes tabasco sue is right. Her area is very mild and she can probably get away with growing some of the hardier geraniums like purple haze. The only advice I would give you sue when growing seedlings through the winter is to water sparingly. Young geraniums dont mind the cold too much but they do not like being too wet.

Tabasco if you would like to try germinating some geranium seeds send me your address and i will send you some fool proof seed to try. I may be an expert but most really arent that difficult to grow.

Forgot to say that even in my zone if I tried germinating geranium seed now theywould really struggle and many would die. As you are in zone 6 I wouldnt even attempt to sow anything now until the spring.

Thanks Psilo, will keep them dry.

I've put all my eggs in one basket this time, I sowed all my seeds of Purple haze!!...
don't ask why, I normally do half and half, brain obviously wasn't in gear that day.

I'll move them into the greenhouse.

dont worry they should be ok Sue. They are pretty tough.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Psilo, thanks so much for your generous offer but I will hold off 'til spring and then order from your (very lovely) site. I am just intriqued by the h. g.'s and your (and sueone's) experiments and results! t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.