Too Late To Re-plant Green Beans?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

The rabbits destroyed all our plants. I really want fresh green beans. Is it too late to re-plant here in GA? If not, then if I plant this w/e, when would I expect a harvest?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

berrygirl - sorry i can't advise about ga. but here in new york starting in june i plant beans every two weeks up until late july

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

You should be able to get a fall crop of bush types. I've done that before here in Kansas and I don't think it's much hotter there. You need to see how many days to harvest on the packet of seeds and figure out when to plant to get them to bloom when your weather is cooling off but well before frost. It's probably still kind of early. I had to mulch the seeds well to assure a germination because it was quite hot when I planted them.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm planning on putting some more beans just as soon as things dry up enough to get in the garden. You should be fine if you get them in in the next 2 weeks.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Definitely. Most bush beans (snap beans) will mature in 45-65 days. (Provider comes in around 50; Burgunday at 60 days.)

I'll put some more in soon also. I also just sowed 3 rows of cowpeas this past week.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone for your help! Now if I only can find the bean seeds. Wally world and my farmers supply are both out but I will keep looking!

Hate those wascally wabbits!!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Berry girl...Holler...I can send you seeds if you like.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

HOOOORRRRRSSSSHHHHOOOOEEEEEE!!!

Did ya hear me?
How very kind of you to offer! It would be an honor to have some of your bean babies to grow and enjoy. Thanks for entrusting them to me!! You're the best, shoe!
I am emailing you my info.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe....I came so close to mailing you seeds today before I heard back from ya! I didn't know if you would want them.

They are all packed up (stole your address from the DG list) and will go out tomorrow.

Happy beaning!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks shoe!!! Brilliant minds think alike yeah?!!
I cant wait to get them. Am gonna put em in a raised bed hopefully to deter the wabbits. The raised bed is in my fenced backyard which is inhabited by 2 monstrous dogs that would love some rabbit stew for supper-he he he!!

Thanks again and to all who gave me advice!!

HOPE EVERYONE'S GARDENS ARE A HUGE SUCCESS!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Berrygirl

Invest in a bag of blood meal and sprinkle a little on the bean plants after every rain. Put it on just as if you were salting food. Stops both rabbits and deer. I have a whole herd of rabbits but they have not touched a bean plant.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

farmerdill - does the blookmeal work on deer who love hosta plants? would appreciate a gquick answer from anyone. thanks

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My dogs LOVED it when I use to use bloodmeal....they use to dig in those areas with a passion. Had to either stop using it or get rid of the dogs.....I stoped the bloodmeal :-)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Blood meal deters deer from my sweet potatoes and cantaloupes. I do realize that sometimes urban deer are so starved that they will eat almost anything under any conditions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.